Super Contributor

Re: Anyone ever flown First Class?

It would depend on the airlines. Some airlines' "first class cabins" are not much better than coach to justify the huge price difference. Plus, I wouldn't spend the extra dollars for anything less than 3 hours. International flights are a different story, and I would definitely upgrade to at least business class if not first class for the extras given.

Money doesn't talk; it swears. --Bob Dylan
Honored Contributor

I was bumped up once between Oslo and Toronto on Air Canada.

It was FANTASTIC!!!

Honored Contributor

I flew to London in first class twice. We didn't pay for first class seats, we got an upgrade. It was years and years ago, I was very heavy, like a size 26. I didn't carry my weight in my stomach so I never had any seat belt issues but squeezing my bulk into a coach class seat for a 6 hour flight was always torture. On two separate occasions, the flight attendants quietly without any fuss moved us into first class (which was practically empty). I can't tell you how much I appreciated their kindness and the respectful manner in which they did it. I don't know if they would be allowed to do that today. We don't travel as much as we did but if I could afford it, I'd travel first class all the time.

Contributor

On 9/10/2014 deepwaterdotter said:
On 9/10/2014 Tamn8r2 said: It makes me think of that Sienfeld episode where Jerry gets moved to First class and Elaine is stuck in coach....the line I remember is when the flight attendant asks Jerry, "more Anything?" And he responds.. " More EVERYTHING!!!!!!"

And Elaine was stuck with the kosher meal in Coach.

And then she didn't even get the Kosher meal cause she was in the restroom, right????? That one was a classic!!!!
Honored Contributor

I read an article that less than 25% of the seats in first class were actually paying full price. More than likely, the passengers occupying those seats are frequent flyers using airlines' or credit card upgrades.

Sunday we had a United flight from Chicago. There were only 12 first class seats.

Super Contributor

I just flew first class yesterday! My Sweetie and I were returning home from vacation. As a birthday treat for him, I cashed in some miles and paid the $150 so we could upgrade. We have done this several times, always on the return home.

We are so much more comfortable in first class. Two flight attendants were working in the section and we didn't want for anything. It is definitely the way to travel!

Respected Contributor

I agree with happy2write, having encountered a lot of drunken passengers in first class who insist on conversing. I like peace and quiet and whether in coach or 1st, one is a bit at the mercy of fellow passengers.

The new upgraded coach seats are not really premium, about as much space as coach _used_ to have but no longer does. Also, many very tall people book these seats so it's still a matter of being crunched over to one side for the whole trip. I travelled to Boston this summer with a very tall teenager who not only took up 1/2 of each of his seatmates' space (one had to scrunch to one side) but also peeled flaps of dry skin off his arm and threw them on the floor for the whole flight. For this I paid a small premium. One just never knows what will turn up in the form of fellow passengers.

Flying just isn't pleasant, but coach can be perfect with considerate seat-mates. For instance, I once flew to London on the aisle seat with two German, shaven-headed skinhead looking guys, who were reading what appeared to be alt.s*x magazines, graphically illustrated. Well, they were as polite as princes. I speak German and they hadn't encountered anyone in Miami, where they had been vacationing, who did. They were very pleasant travel companions and we are still exchanging Christmas cards--go figure.

Also, I always hope when I go to Japan, a very very long flight, that coach will be fine--and it always is, because so many of the passengers are Japanese, and the Japanese are so used to being considerate and courteous about sharing space. Pleasant, polite, quiet spoken people.

Honored Contributor

I've flown first class quite a bit and have never had experiences with obnoxious or drunk people.

Valued Contributor

we were bumped off a flight. Next flight they gave us 1st class. When my friends and I flew home from Ireland, they put us in 1st class. very nice

Respected Contributor

I think GENERALLY it is going to be quieter and more pleasant in first class. Of course, you can find obnoxious people anywhere. The difference in first class is, everyone is more comfortable, there is better food, more room, the seats are bigger and more comfortable, there is more leg room, people are not scrunched together, annoying each other. I think that makes a difference. You board first, you don't have to stand in the aisle waiting for everyone to put their stuff overhead, you get off first, you don't have to wait for everyone to get their stuff down, your bags come off first,..from start to finish it's better.
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero