Trusted Contributor

I saw a ring here (about a month ago) at $130. I was seriously considering buying it. I decided to buy it and I came back the next day -- and the ring was $170.  Knowing that it had been $40 less, I wasn't going to buy it at the higher price.  So, I kept checking back for a month.

It's back down to $130 today. But the thing is, after having checked it out for a month, I'm over it now. I've moved on.  I definitely would have bought it earlier.

So QVC lost out on a sale with their price games.  So instead of QVC making a higher profit with the higher price, they made no profit/sale. I can't be the only one.
And, yes, I know other places do this. I just think it's a tactic that backfires on sellers. At least with me it does, especially on impulse buys.

Honored Contributor

If it consistantly backfired, they would continue to do it.  Most people who were really interested would have bought it when it was first $130.   The marketing people know what they're doing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor
I think the marketing people are trying anything and everything to increase profits. So many on these boards are aware of the price changing games. Frankly I think somehow it is disrespectful to their customer base. It is upsetting to see one price and then watch it bounce up, down, and all around in a short time span. I have seen it myself over and over. Makes me think they don’t know what they are doing.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Trusted Contributor

What you are describing happens in every retail environment (both online and in B&M stores) every day.  There are no guarantees that a price offerred today will be there tomorrow.  QVC is the same and I don't blame them.  Even in B&M stores I have seen prices on a clearance rack which are higher then when the item had been on sale a few weeks prior.  Shopping is a gamble.

If you really wanted the ring you would have jumped at it when you first saw it. 

Honored Contributor

When you saw the price jump up and then go back down again, that's when you should have bought it.

Every retailer plays pricing games.  

Esteemed Contributor

I worked for a department store in the late 1990's.  We made so many price changes and ran so many sales and coupon deals it was nearly impossible to keep up with.  You could come in to shop for sheets at 10AM, and they could be $100 less in two hours.

We made so many changes that many things were not even tagged - we just used signs.  No way we could physically do every item individually.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

You are missing the point. I was talking about a sales tactic. 

@mimomof4 

Once again, I said I wasn't desperate to buy it, or I would have at the higher price. I'm pointing out that people can watch am item and grow tired or uninterested in it while watching for a price drop (back to where it had been). Sellers can miss out on impulse or near-impulse buys.

@Bri369 @

Once again, I said I know other retailers do it

@Kachina624 

Why are sales down, then? No. They don't always know what they are doing.

Esteemed Contributor

The fact that you did not want to buy it 30 days later indicates you would not have been happy with the purchase had you made it 30 days earlier.  May have even returned it.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Congratulations on "saving" $130! 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else?

[ Edited ]

@Suzeecat wrote:

Congratulations on "saving" $130! 

😃 

Thanks. But, I spent it somewhere else. Saw something newer and shinier. 😉

And free S&H. Bonus. 

ETA
Those who like Balinese and Indonesian jewelry (any jewelry for that matter) might want to check out:  market (dot) unicefusa (dot) org