Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else spending Thanksgiving alone?

We live 4 hours away from our kids now that we moved. I had our Thanksgiving last Saturday and it was wonderful! Now the kids can go and do with their in-laws. Today we'll be having soup and salad for dinner. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

It is just me and my husband and we will go out to eat.  I was thinking this morning that if I am ever alone and in decent health I think I would volunteer at some place that feeds people. 

Honored Contributor

In our community they have a Thanksgiving dinner at the beach for anyone who wants to go. It is voluntary to pay or not - there is a box to put money in if you want. I work at the food bank with several ladies who are widows and their children live far away so every year they all go to this dinner and serve the food then eat there. Apparently it is quite a popular place for many folks who don't have anyone to spend the day with to go there instead of staying home alone.The setting is certainly beautiful.

Trusted Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.  Watching the parade and feeling a little homesick.  Need to keep myself busy today and spent time with my precious furbaby who is very happy to have his mommy home!

Have a great dayHeart

Respected Contributor

I will be alone too.  It will be very peaceful and I will cook half a rack of lamb (4 ribs) and roasted baby carrots (the little ones that come in different colors).  Lamb will be cooked in my air fryer and I hope it comes out the way I like it.

I have been invited to go with some friends to a restaurant and also to a friends house, but I just don't feel up to it.

Hope everyone will have a great day!

Esteemed Contributor

BalletBabe wrote:

It is the night before Thanksgiving and none of us are alone!  We are here for each other.  How great is that?  Thanks to the Q for these forums.  

@BalletBabe  Thank you for posting this.  I enjoy your posts. You have such a sweet spirit and I admire your strength with the loss of your husband this year.  God bless you, friend!HeartPanda

@Pandalady  Thanks so much!  You are my friend as well.  Thank you for your kind words.   When I get down about hubby, I try to remember how much he was suffering at this time last year.  I know he is at peace now.  No more suffering. 

Might sound weird, but these forums have been great company for me.  I have met a few wonderful people like yourself on here.  Yes, there are mean ones, but many more that are nice.  Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!!!!  Heart

Respected Contributor

I hope everyone enjoys their day doing whatever they want to do. I did watch the dog show and it was great. Sometimes it is nice to be alone!

doxie

Honored Contributor

I am!  I have no family and decline the invitations to other people's family Thanksgivings.  Just not something I want to do.

I will, however, celebrate tomorrow with a brunch at one friend's home and then dinner at another one.  It's kind of become our tradition.  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@momtochloe wrote:

To be honest, I spent countless holidays surrounded by a roomfull of people and never felt more alone.  I am not sad to be by myself during the holiday season as for me this is much better than where I used to be.

I think many people feel exactly the same. They have a place to go or used to, and it really isn't very loving or inviting. My father died in 1979 and my mom never remarried or dated much (no one ever measured up to my dad). She always says there are things much worse than being alone.

Your mom is so right!!

Honored Contributor

My family prefers to stay home and have our own dinner.  

When the girls were small and we ate holiday meals with grandparents, everyone was always hungry as soon as we got home, and I would wind up in the kitchen cooking something before bedtime.   My food allergies always prevented me from eating the majority of the dinner, so I was usually the hungriest of all.   Finally the decision was made to just eat here, and that makes everyone happy.