Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else spending Thanksgiving alone?

[ Edited ]

Me!  Me!  Me!   But I have been all alone today only because my small family and I had our get-together yesterday!  I cooked for my DS, DGS and DDIL...we had a good day!  They had to go to TWO other homes to eat today, so they asked if we could have our dinner yesterday!

I do have a much larger family of siblings, nieces and nephews, but they are all 1600 miles away, so I don't get to see them much anymore.

A blessed Thanksgiving to all of you, whether we are alone, or surrounded by others, we probably all have lots to be thankful for - I know I do!

Esteemed Contributor

Timing and family being at other places left us alone.  Happened to say something to a new friend about being alone, the first time in many years. Within an hour or so got a call and was invited to be part of her family.  We just came back from a glorious visit, Turkey, trimmings and all.  What a great feeling to know someone was listening and cared enough to make our holiday. 

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I'll have husband and son, but I haven't really been happy going into this holiday. I guess there's still a part of me not yet over our losing our little fur baby two months ago. There's a part of my heart missing. I just hope next year is better.

@qualitygal

I understand totally. I know many here have fresh wounds from loosing human loved ones (and some not so 'fresh' but that don't seem to heal over time the way we would wish), but I too, feel the loss of my pets more deeply and much longer the older I get.

I don't know if it is because so many other aspects of my life are 'done' (child rearing, working etc.) and I have much more focus on the pets now than 20 years ago, or just what it is, but loosing one now hurts ten times worse, and 20 times longer than it did when I was in my 30's. 

I definitely feel your pain.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

We live 4 hours away from our kids now that we moved. I had our Thanksgiving last Saturday and it was wonderful! Now the kids can go and do with their in-laws. Today we'll be having soup and salad for dinner. Woman Happy

I know these days are coming, when the holiday isn't always shared/celebrated on the actual holiday. I think I will be fine with it, as long as we can keep getting together sometime during the season. And I'm told it gets easier as time passes to have alternate days for celebration.

Respected Contributor

We did, as usual.   It's just the two of us and my family is 1500 miles away.

We used to accept invitations from friends but I found it was both uncomfortable being around another family and not knowing them and too sad for me wishing I was with my family like they were.   So, starting a few years ago we stopped going.

We cook my family's traditional meal and I watch football.  It's not much different from any other day.

Trusted Contributor

Wound up being an enjoyable.day. Cooked and relaxed with my little man. I think we both ate too much. Spent 3 hours on the phone with an old friend catching up. All In all it was a good Thanksgiving and I am thankful to have hat I have.  Hope everyone had a good day☺

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

I'll have husband and son, but I haven't really been happy going into this holiday. I guess there's still a part of me not yet over our losing our little fur baby two months ago. There's a part of my heart missing. I just hope next year is better.

@qualitygal

I understand totally. I know many here have fresh wounds from loosing human loved ones (and some not so 'fresh' but that don't seem to heal over time the way we would wish), but I too, feel the loss of my pets more deeply and much longer the older I get.

I don't know if it is because so many other aspects of my life are 'done' (child rearing, working etc.) and I have much more focus on the pets now than 20 years ago, or just what it is, but loosing one now hurts ten times worse, and 20 times longer than it did when I was in my 30's. 

I definitely feel your pain.

@Mominohio, Thank you so much, you hit the nail on the head. I know I'm not alone this year in going through this.