Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone else fighting for people to do their jobs every day?

Spoke to my sister this AM.  She interviewed  a young lady, job starts at eight.  Young lady said, i,n not an early person, can I start at 10?  My sis says, this job is not for you. Young lady says, you are firing me?  My sis says, you have not been hired.  Unbelievable.

Trusted Contributor

I've always said, "I spend more time correcting someone else's mistakes than my own". Case in point: my son took private clarinet lessons a few years ago at a local music shop for about 3 years. The last year he was there, the music shop changed their policy from paying "as you go" for each lesson to charging your credit card each month. Ok, I could live with that. Until...I wasn't being charged each month, then got a bill for 3 months of lessons.  When I asked about it, I was brushed off saying they would look into it. The problem continued and each month I couldn't pay for the lesson because of the new billing policy.  The final straw came when I got the last bill with an extra lesson charge from 6 months prior and was told it was because I hadn't paid for it. The fact was I WASNT EVER CHARGED for it. They couldn't follow their own policy but I was expected to. Done, done, and done.

Respected Contributor

Yes, getting people to "do their job" is really hard today.  I was taught to have a good work ethic and as long as you weren't asked to do something that wasn't legal you do it!  I'm 63 and I really don't care for how jobs are today, you see the word "team" used all they time and they're always asking you to fill out a survey, they want to know how they're doing!  DH just retired last year from a job where he was in charge of many people.  One time the employee had a window of time to start the job, they could start between 7-9 am and work their 8 hour day from whatever time they started.  The employee picked 8  but the employee never got there at 8, they came in anywhere from 8:30-9:00 but here's the kicker, they would leave like they did start at 8 am.  When DH called the employee in to "counsel" them, they said that the bus couldn't get them to work by 8 am!!!!!  It went downhill from there and it took DH two years to be able to let the employee go.  My DH always expected the employees to work an 8 hour day.  When reviews came, an employee would be mad if they didn't get a glowing review.  Working an 8 hour day is doing your job, if someone wants a glowing review, you have to go "above & beyond".  When you have to "counsel" an employee about coming in and working their 8 hour day, how do you expect to get a "glowing" review!!!!  My DH worked 10-12  hours a day to get better jobs and move ahead.  Needless to say since he's retired, he hasn't looked back and he doesn't miss it one bit.

Trusted Contributor

Every day, in all aspects of life! It's maddening.

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

Spoke to my sister this AM.  She interviewed  a young lady, job starts at eight.  Young lady said, i,n not an early person, can I start at 10?  My sis says, this job is not for you. Young lady says, you are firing me?  My sis says, you have not been hired.  Unbelievable.

So our little millenial who left months ago just popped up again yesterday!  As one of my older co-workers said, she apparently couldn't handle her "big girl job."  LOL  I guess they required actual work from her.  Back she comes to our "Team"  @Hayfield  my gosh are you right on that!!  Don't call me team if you never do a thing for me and I do everything for you.