Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else dislike Fall and all that it Entails?

Hate summer .... love the cooler weather and change of seasons, plus the change of position of the sun during the day.  

Honored Contributor

I know many of you will probably agree that we old(er) mothers who have adult children enjoy seeing our children repeat some of the rituals (and words) that we did at their age....hint:  I know we don't dare acknowledge it...

Anyway, last night my youngest daughter in Denver sent me tons of text pictures of her tiny balcony filled with pots of Mums she'd bought!  She also took pictures of her house (orange pillows, her wreaths (brown and orange) and her pride and joy (her little minature Smurfs dressed for Halloween and doing pumpkin kind of things(?)).  So funny!

All three of my girls used to collect the miniture Smurfs.  Between them there had to be maybe over 100.  These Smurfs were doing everything for every season.  They each had their own and they'd set them out in their rooms.

I never thought much about it as each (2 got married and set up house, and the youngest moved to Colorado) packed up their 'stuff'.  I had no idea the Smurfs went along.

My late husband would not let me throw away one single toy they had; so up in our attic in sealed bags are stuffed animals, games, costumes, you name it!  I just figured the Smurfs were part of that, along with other decorations they had.

My youngest daughter collected pop out books since she was very, very young.  Even now, when she doesn't feel well, she'll get them out and send me pictures of herself with them!

Anyway, I'm getting off topic.  It was so cute seeing her little porch filled with these mums.  She even had her dog posing with the Mums!

She called me and said, "So, did you see all of my decorations?"  I said, "Yes!  It filled up my phone and I loved it."  (She'd sent them to her two sisters.....I think it might be a competition...not sure).

Then I said, "Did I do all that when you guys were growing up"?  

She said, "Don't you remember Marmy"? (She calls me that)  "You changed everything for every season.  You even put out special candy... Everyone loved coming to our house...it was so pretty with lots of candy!"

I'd completely forgotten how I used to do all of that.  When I was growing up I lived with my Grandma, her daughter (my Aunt) and my Dad.  My Aunt would change everything in the house for every season.  I think a lot of people did it back then.

I guess that's where I got it from (changing everything).  It just signals a new beginning...maybe that's it.

I love coming here and seeing so many of the pictures you ladies post of your beautiful decorations.  I love the way you celebrate life and the beauty around you.

Thanks for helping to bring back those wonderful memories.  

I tell young mothers as I walk past them out in public.  The Moms are struggling, looking so tired and frazzled.  I don't stop...but I do smile and as I walk past sometimes I'll say, "You might not feel like it now....but this is the best time of your life".  

Boy!  Do I mean it!  My guess is many of you agree with me...another new beginning..

Respected Contributor

I love autumn and changed out our summer plants (still thriving) on our front porch for lots of mums.  It looks great. Also, I put fall wreaths on all our doors.

This morning I changed our kitchen and dining room seasonal decor.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, No, No. I'm a summer girl. I love the 80s and 90s, not so much the humidity. Love the nice, long days that I spend outside working in the flower beds, and then hitting our pool. Love spending evenings by the pool with a glass of wine. I love the family picnics and dinners and everything that summer brings. 

I hate fall because it turns cool, then chilly, then downright cold. After fall comes winter with its bleakness and grey days. Cold, snow, inc. 

Nope. I can't tolerate being cold. And fall is just a harbinger of the crappiness that lies ahead for several months. If I could go into hibernation, I would. 

I live for summer.

Trusted Contributor

@PamelaSue72 wrote:

No, No, No. I'm a summer girl. I love the 80s and 90s, not so much the humidity. Love the nice, long days that I spend outside working in the flower beds, and then hitting our pool. Love spending evenings by the pool with a glass of wine. I love the family picnics and dinners and everything that summer brings. 

I hate fall because it turns cool, then chilly, then downright cold. After fall comes winter with its bleakness and grey days. Cold, snow, inc. 

Nope. I can't tolerate being cold. And fall is just a harbinger of the crappiness that lies ahead for several months. If I could go into hibernation, I would. 

I live for summer.

I am SO with you on thisSmiley Happy

Respected Contributor

When October arrives, we go on Eastern Std. Time....this is detrimental to me as I have Seasonal Affective Disorder.    I try to get ample sunlight at lunchtime, and take supplements of Vit. D ... but it's not enough.   Here in the Northeast, late fall & winter is a little unbearable.