Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone doing the Konmari method of decluttering & tidying?

@emma bunting wrote:

I've never heard of that meathod, gidget......can you give it to me in a nutshell? Is it the "keep/donate/toss idea?

The basic "take away" from the book, at least for me, was keep what brings you joy. She specifically says what "sparks joy".  That's pretty much what I've been doing for the last few years, but hadn't really assigned a name to it.

She gives you a very specific order of how to clean your "stuff" out- starting with clothes, because they have the least emotional tugs at you.  Then you work your way to harder categories and end up with the hardest- mementos and photos.  By that time, you know the process and those harder categories are easier.

She's Japanese and there's certainly some cultural differences and a few things that I rolled my eyes at, but overall, I loved her suggestions.

I've lost quite a bit of weight in the last few years and my closet has gone through a complete overhaul, at least twice now.  Again, not just with the clothes, but with everything I've been purging, I realize now that the things I've kept ARE the things that spark joy in me.  I love looking at my side of the closet now.  I love looking at the things in our house.  They all bring me joy.

The book is a short read, but I thought it was terrific.  I joined the Facebook Fan Page (unofficial) and people share ideas/pictures all the time there.  One of my favorite FB pages.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I read her book, even applied a couple of things. I'm pretty organized though. Had a teacher once complain to my mom that everytime she looked my way, I had my head in the desk, top of the desk open, and I was in there straightening it up. (Elementary, you see). I also as a kid when I was home sick, used to put my viewmasters in order. See,you have the gene or you don't. ROFLOL.

QualityGal- me too.  If you look up organized in the dictionary, you're likely to find my picture.  So this is right up my alley.  I've always been very organized and efficient and non cluttery, while maintaining a comfortable house, but this has really turned into a hobby for me and I love the end results.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One of her suggestions I have been finding handy:  clean by category, not room by room.  Categories include cosmetics, magazines, books.  Another is:  start with clothes.

If an item does not "spark joy," you should get rid of it or pass it on to someone else. If an item does "spark joy," you _must not_ discard it.  You must find a place for it.

I live in a small house with a huge, give-a-party living room but no storage space whatever, and I have found her advice helpful. 

She is from Tokyo, where people live in unimaginably small apartments (by American standards), so she really has given a lot of thought to this.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am considering buying the book but I have bought books about decluttering in the past so I am wary. I like to watch all of the youtube Kon Mari videos. This book is so popular right now! Right now I am using the Pqfan method which isn't working! LOL! I am supposed to be working today but instead I ordered a pizza and am watching tv. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

One of her suggestions I have been finding handy:  clean by category, not room by room.  Categories include cosmetics, magazines, books.  Another is:  start with clothes.

If an item does not "spark joy," you should get rid of it or pass it on to someone else. If an item does "spark joy," you _must not_ discard it.  You must find a place for it.

I live in a small house with a huge, give-a-party living room but no storage space whatever, and I have found her advice helpful. 

She is from Tokyo, where people live in unimaginably small apartments (by American standards), so she really has given a lot of thought to this.

Absolutely- clean/purge/organize by category.  It's the most efficient and as you complete a category, well, you're done with it!  I gave the book to a friend a few months ago.  She hasn't read it yet, but has been trying to declutter/organize on her own, but has been frustrated because she doesn't feel she's making much progress.

I asked her if she was "flitting" from room to room and she said yes.  I said, well stop that because it's too overwhelming and you'll never finish.  Take two days to read the book and then start....with clothes.  You do nothing else till you finish clothes.

Honored Contributor

Thanks that is interesting.

So if we do this.. one wouldn't get overwelmed trying to clean everything at once and give up.

It does make sense.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Respected Contributor

gidget , you've done a wonderful job of explaining the book.  I'm almost done with it, and while i find it most interesting, the basic suggestion of dumping everything you own (of a certain category) on the floor is a little radical.  First you take everything, and she does mean everything (like all the clothes you own) and dump them on the floor and then start by discarding before you go back to organizing. 

I'm not a messy person so I will never have bags and bags of stuff to discard as she says a lot of her clients have.  I do like the main take away from her book that you should get rid of things that don't give you joy.  And I like the way she respects her possessions, for example, thanking her clothes for keeping her warm.  There is a lot of Japanese culture in her book and I found it extremely interesting.

Honored Contributor

@smokymtngal wrote:

gidget , you've done a wonderful job of explaining the book.  I'm almost done with it, and while i find it most interesting, the basic suggestion of dumping everything you own (of a certain category) on the floor is a little radical.  First you take everything, and she does mean everything (like all the clothes you own) and dump them on the floor and then start by discarding before you go back to organizing. 

I'm not a messy person so I will never have bags and bags of stuff to discard as she says a lot of her clients have.  I do like the main take away from her book that you should get rid of things that don't give you joy.  And I like the way she respects her possessions, for example, thanking her clothes for keeping her warm.  There is a lot of Japanese culture in her book and I found it extremely interesting.

Smokymtngal- I think I'd mentioned that I came to the book a little late in the party.  I started on my "let's declutter the house" project in Jan. 2012 and I just read the book a few months ago.

Like you, there was no way on this earth that I was going to take every article of clothing I own and dump it on our bed.  THAT was too overwhelming to me.  My side of the closet was already in terrific shape and because of my weight loss just about everything in there is new, but the way I have it laid out, it's easy for me to look at each piece, visually, without going to the extreme she does.  I think she does it to make a point though.  To see it all in one big mass wakes you up.  Do you really NEED all that.  Does EVERY SINGLE PIECE bring you joy.  Touch every single piece and see what it "says" to you.  So I get her point, but I couldn't do that big mess.

I thought it was also interesting that she said gather your clothes from all over your house.  All over my house?????  Huh?  Except for the coat closet downstairs, all my clothes are in our closet or in my dresser.  My clothes have never been all over the place.  I just don't live like that.

No way on earth am I going to empty my purse out every night and put the items in a tray and the purse on a shelf only to fill it all up again the next morning.  To me, that's a time waster and not needed.  But alot of people embrace that.  And that makes them happy.

Like you, I love that she teaches you to love and respect your possessions.  I love some (but not all) of her "tidying" methods.

So I just took the book as a helpful tool to help guide me on the journey that I was already deep into.  I made several changes to my organizing because of it.

Respected Contributor

gidget, I agree with everything you said.  She makes you really think about all your possessions in a different light.  It was a very worthwhile book to read.  I think everyone can take away something positive from it.

By the way, congratulations on your weight loss!    

Esteemed Contributor

I think that I am a pretty organized person, but I still weed out my closets, garage and storage area once a year. My hubby on the other hand, is an "Oscar Madison".....Smiley Very Happy

When places like the kitchen junk drawer and garage start to get messy....it's time to tackle them before it becomes a major project.