Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone can suggest nice places to live in florida

Anyone know anything about the Sebring area?

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

too hot and humid. 7 months out of the year you need to be in constant air conditioning. Buggy too.  Not a fan.

Not only bugs. Lizard--y critters crawling all over the place,inside too. Ewwwww.

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

@chiclet wrote:

Stay away from St. Augustine and St. Johns county in general unless you like bumper to bumper traffic, constant home building (one new developement after another with no personality) and no new restaurants or stores to shop. It is just people, people people.  There is the beach but that is all you have to do.  I am retired and if I could I would move tomorrow (away from Florida)   

I hear you. We are in Tampa Bay. Congestion and traffic cannot even be described. It's worse in resort towns along the coast. We are from Ohio and a small town in S Carolina, and are too old to enjoy fighting the rude aggressive drivers here. Have been visiting family here for 40 years, but Florida has completely changed from the good days. Way over populated and over built with huge environmental issues. We're looking forward to moving home to Ohio before we leave this earth. Florida is a great vacation state, especially if you have a young family. Living here year around is a completely different animal. 

@CJC @I can't stand driving in the Tampa area. The traffic congestion is horrible. When I drove through last time, it was on a Sunday and it was still packed. I live near both Broward and Dade Counties, with far more people, but there's much less congestion in most places in this area. Not all...forget about the traffic near Miami Lakes,  The Grove and U of M area, Downtown Miami, Miami airport and other areas. One thing I miss is the old Miami Beach. The coconut palms died of lethal yellowing and the growth of South Beach ruined the relaxed tropical atmosphere I grew up with in my childhood. I loved walking with my mom and sister to the beach and sitting on a blanket, playing in the ocean. In my area now, due to an insect spread disease, the state has come into our yards and cut down all the citrus trees. 

Honored Contributor

I have a friend in Summerfield, near Ocala; she's been there 10 years, and loves it.   

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

I haven't been there, but I've been intrigued by the Lakeland Florida area. You're far enough inland to be relatively hurricane-proof. (At least out of tidal surge range.) You're between Orlando and Tampa. Property taxes are way, way lower than here in NJ. Housing prices aren't horrible. It seems like a pretty nice place to relocate to. Lots of shopping and stuff in the immediate area and Tampa is 30-40 miles away as is Orlando. 

@gardenman Lakeland is very nice, however, they have unbelievable sink holes and you should check for sink hole coverage if you can get it. 

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Anyone know anything about the Sebring area?

@meem120 @I love it. I've been thinking of moving up there myself. 

Respected Contributor

I have lived in St. Augustine Fl for 40 years and love it. I was born and raised in Massachusetts. St. Augustine has changed much over the years. When I came here, it was a quite town. Now the city of St. Augustine has much tourist traffic. That is good for our economy. The beaches are close depending on where you live in the county. I live 1 mile from the beautiful intercoastal waterway and a 10 min drive to the actual beach on the Atlantic Ocean. There are many things to do here, especially water recreation. 

We also have many eclectic restaurants, Flagler College etc. The crime rate is low here. I have always felt safe and we have some of the best schools in Florida. 

I think St. Johns County is the wealthiest county in Florida right now. We have numerous NFL, former NFL players that have home here. 

I am familiar with Jacksonville and Daytona also. I would not live in either place. I can drive to each city in 45 minutes. I find the Daytona area to be not so nice without much culture. Jacksonvile is a nice city but it seems there is a lot of crime there. 

Many people who work in Jacksonville actually live in St. Johns County but up in the northern side of the county. You can easily access the beaches from up there too. 

Real Estate here has gone through the roof. 

Respected Contributor

I used to attend work meetings in Sebring and I did not like it there. I felt like I was in the middle of nowhere. I did not see anything attractive that would draw me to live in Sebring. 

Valued Contributor

Can anyone give me thoughts on the Clermont area. 

Valued Contributor

I lived in Ponte Vedra Beach for a year and loved it. Northern Florida about a half hour from Jacksonville. Mt. Dora is also nice.