Super Contributor

Re: Anyone can suggest nice places to live in florida

I second the checking on the cost of homeowner's insurance, and especially the cost of flood insurance.  

Respected Contributor

I love Naples and Bonita Springs on the West Coast, and St. Augustine on the East Coast.

Honored Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

I second the checking on the cost of homeowner's insurance, and especially the cost of flood insurance.  

@Carolm @Flood insurance is a federal program and our cost for it here in Florida is reasonable. Flood insurance covers rising water, while homeowners insurance with windstorm covers wind driven water. There's no comparison between the cost of flood insurance and a homeowners insurance policy. The state of Florida has a list of companies and their rates. Rates vary by county location in the state, cost of the home and amount of coverage, type of construction; concrete brick or stone being the gold standard, proximity to the coast, extras with the home, such as a pool or screened in porch, individual company rates, age of the home, type of roof, age of the roof, hurricane remediation of the roof, doors and windows; for example, storm shutters or impact glass, special hurricane garage doors, roof tie downs, pitch of the roof, owners credit, lapses of any policy, ownership of a dog. The rates just keep going up and up. 

Respected Contributor

Stay away from St. Augustine and St. Johns county in general unless you like bumper to bumper traffic, constant home building (one new developement after another with no personality) and no new restaurants or stores to shop. It is just people, people people.  There is the beach but that is all you have to do.  I am retired and if I could I would move tomorrow (away from Florida)   

Honored Contributor

It's been a few years, but DH and I used to go to St. Pete Beach every year.  We thought it was a beautiful and inviting place.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

Stay away from St. Augustine and St. Johns county in general unless you like bumper to bumper traffic, constant home building (one new developement after another with no personality) and no new restaurants or stores to shop. It is just people, people people.  There is the beach but that is all you have to do.  I am retired and if I could I would move tomorrow (away from Florida)   

I hear you. We are in Tampa Bay. Congestion and traffic cannot even be described. It's worse in resort towns along the coast. We are from Ohio and a small town in S Carolina, and are too old to enjoy fighting the rude aggressive drivers here. Have been visiting family here for 40 years, but Florida has completely changed from the good days. Way over populated and over built with huge environmental issues. We're looking forward to moving home to Ohio before we leave this earth. Florida is a great vacation state, especially if you have a young family. Living here year around is a completely different animal. 

Esteemed Contributor

Imo, your best bet would be to list what you want in a new area and start there. Then, you should rent a place to see if it fits your wants/needs. Hospitals, doctors, shopping, etc.

Also, you might want to rent during the June-August period to see you can tolerate the heat/humidity.

Honored Contributor

I haven't been there, but I've been intrigued by the Lakeland Florida area. You're far enough inland to be relatively hurricane-proof. (At least out of tidal surge range.) You're between Orlando and Tampa. Property taxes are way, way lower than here in NJ. Housing prices aren't horrible. It seems like a pretty nice place to relocate to. Lots of shopping and stuff in the immediate area and Tampa is 30-40 miles away as is Orlando. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Lakeland is a lovely area.  Actually, from Lakeland to the West Coast is all a great place to live.  

As far as the traffic, just remember that is all the people "getting away from" somewhere else.  Most of them do not live here!

Central Florida is a beautiful place to live!

Respected Contributor

too hot and humid. 7 months out of the year you need to be in constant air conditioning. Buggy too.  Not a fan.