Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking of joining one of the groups, but only just came across it.  Wasn't sure if there's anything I should know.  For instance, I saw something about Reddit coins??  Would like to hear about others experiences.  Thanks. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone belong to Reddit?

@cotton4me 

I belong and get email notifications which is handy!

I'm not active there, but every now and the it's fun to read!

I also belong to Quora.

'My only warning is about online predators which are rife. 
If you are asked to "meet up" on another app tp "continue the discussion" my advice is DON'T GO THERE!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Depending on the group, the moderation can be pretty heavy.  Lots of fighting there.

But no subject is off limits.  There is a forum for everything (even things you didn't know were things!).

I would also add that you can read without joining.

I posted there in the unemployment forum early on in the pandemic to help people out with the new federal laws and I had to close my account as there were a lot of people who wanted to argue facts just for the sake of arguing.  For example, I would post something from the new FAQ a state posted and link to it and people would jump on me and say I didn't know what I was talking about.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

My 32 year old son is active on Reddit and enjoys it.  That said, I think that age group is Reddit's target demographic is 20s. -30s.

Honored Contributor

Some reddit groups (called subreddits) are great and well moderated.

Some are absolute cess pits with the worst of humanity discussing the most digusting topics beyond imagination. Be careful where you go and who you talk to.

There's no real reddit police for the entire site, just individual subreddit moderators. I frequent about three different civilized subreddits and never stray elsewhere.

So be very careful, is what I have to say. And be extremely private. Bad people on there are happy to doxx you, which means finding and posting all your personal information in order to have hoardes of disgusting people harrass you.

Otherwise, have fun! lol

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

They have some groups you may like.

I would use a dedicated ID for all interactions.

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

@cotton4me 

I have never heard of it.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My only connection with Reddit is to check out reviews for pefume oils. It's been quite helpful. In general, I don't do "discussion" type sites other than this one.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the feedback.  There’s a group from my area that posts about local things, some about wildlife photography and where to find certain species, which is one of my interests.  From what I could view, it seemed nice and friendly, but I know that’s not always the case.  I may view it from afar for a while. 

Valued Contributor

I love Reddit ~ there are plenty of friendly subreddits to participate in where the vibe is happy and helpful.