Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Work for a Business that Closes for a Week?

my nephew works for Boeing and gets 2 weeks off as well as a several thousand $ bonus. Last year it was almost $8000. Nice, right?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, my daughter does.  She is going to Blue Ridge for the week.

Occasional Contributor

We are closed, paid holiday from Christmas until New Years. Very common in aerospace industry.

Honored Contributor

I'm 55 and excluding schools and colleges, I never in my life heard of business in the US that closes for an entire week at Christmas.  The expense would be too much.  It's the equivalent of giving every employee a week's pay for doing nothing.   Not to mention the work.  What business can just shut down for a week?  If Christmas falls on Tuesday, we have Monday off.  If it's on Sunday, we have Monday off.  Saturday, we have Friday off.   So, many years, our company does give us an extra day off.  With the work flow, it isn't even possible for us to let more than a few people take use their vacation days for Christmas week.   Yes, I know it's not like that in other parts of the world.   So what?  We're Americans.  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I'm 55 and excluding schools and colleges, I never in my life heard of business in the US that closes for an entire week at Christmas.  The expense would be too much.  It's the equivalent of giving every employee a week's pay for doing nothing.   Not to mention the work.  What business can just shut down for a week?  If Christmas falls on Tuesday, we have Monday off.  If it's on Sunday, we have Monday off.  Saturday, we have Friday off.   So, many years, our company does give us an extra day off.  With the work flow, it isn't even possible for us to let more than a few people take use their vacation days for Christmas week.   Yes, I know it's not like that in other parts of the world.   So what?  We're Americans.  

Many businesses in America are closing for the entire week.

The advertising agencies in NYC and the talent booking firms - just to name two.

They are all doing very well and the week isn't bankrupting them!

Others have said that the some heavy industries close down as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

Many businesses in America are closing for the entire week.

The advertising agencies in NYC and the talent booking firms - just to name two.

They are all doing very well and the week isn't bankrupting them!

Others have said that the some heavy industries close down as well.

Some small businesses closing for a week would not be financially good.  Like mini markets, etc.

Honored Contributor

My sister sell advertising and she now works for a business that is closed beginning x-mas eve and they open back up the day the first working day after new year's day.  It is a paid week off.

I know someone who used to work for Honda, in the office, and the entire facility closed down the week between x-mas and new years and the week of 4th of July.  However, they all had to use 2 weeks of vacation.  He got 4 weeks off so 2 were of his choosing and 2 were chosen for him.

When my father worked for the steel mill, they had mandatory shut down the week between x-mas and new years.  It wasn't paid though unless you had vacation time to use.   

Honored Contributor

My husband's last day of work is Dec 18th, and they are shut down until Jan 4th! They too shutdown every Christmas........We love it, it gives us time to really enjoy the holidays and our children and grandchildren and really rest after Christmas is through!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chrystaltree

Many companies have and do shut down for the holiday period. Especially the larger ones.

Esteemed Contributor

@wagirl

Although, I appreciate  the bonus, trust me it is heavily taxed. If he started at 8,00 he came in closer to 4,000.

It's still nice though.