Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Work for a Business that Closes for a Week?

not a full closure - that can never happen with a computer department.  But the vast majority of staff and all of the faculty are off.  There is a small crew that works over christmas break - it varies from 1 week to 1 1/2 weeks, depending on what day christmas falls on.

I am on call 24x7 365 days a week, but I do get comp time - most of the time I cannot take it lol

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Respected Contributor

oh and it is paid.

If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane ~ Max
Look, I don’t like the taste of broccoli, but it doesn’t get tastier if you call it “Broccoli!”!
You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling. ~ Eames
Trusted Contributor

Most talent agencies in NYC close the week between Christmas and New Year's.  I'm a casting director, and whenever I'm working on a project during that time, it's always tough to get anything accomplished.  I can never get ahold of anyone.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I worked in a museum that had broken AC. The Museum was housed in an original 1910 Carnegie Library building.  The ac  never worked. in one part of buidking...the area we were in!!  So when the temps rose to over 89 in the office we had to go home, LOL! We also closed Christmas to New Years, as an annual closing.  No one ever came in we were told.  I didn't like doing that because I loved to work, especially when it was slow.  I could work on displays easier, and there were no tours to give.  After the City clamped down, we stayed open during the holidays. 

That sounds like a wonderful job!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I once worked for a company that only closed for Easter........and some of the employees complained about "lost pay"

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Yes the company that I work for shuts down Dec 23rd through Jan 4th, and we do every year, it is not part of our vacation, it is a perk with the company that is paid! I love it!!!!!!! 

Honored Contributor

Many factories shut down for a week to 10 days.

Respected Contributor

i worked for a company that did shut-downs over the Christmas holidays, the hoildays were paid. for the 5 or 6 remaining days we could use vaca time or take the time unpaid.   it was nice to have that time off

Honored Contributor

My DH was in sales and his business was always so slow that week that he would stay home , but work from home as needed. That was nice for me as I would not have to pay the dog sitter that week, and since her kids were home from school she appreciated not having to come as well. My DH worked on commission so he would still be paid, though when sales dropped over the holidays it always showed up in his income in jan.

Honored Contributor

Where I worked for vacations they passed around a calender from the person with the most seniority to the person next down the list etc etc and each time you got the calender you could choose a week. At my level I got 3 weeks so I would get the calender 3 times. (attached to the back of the calender was a list of names - you would cross yours out and pass it to the next name on the list.) The weeks of Forth of July and Christmas and thanksgiving were blacked out - no vacations allowed. I usually took 2 weeks and kept a week to use a day or two at a time as I pleased.