Honored Contributor

Anyone Work for a Business that Closes for a Week?

Many advertising agencies in NYC that we work with (and in Toronto too) will be closed the entire week between Christmas and New Year's.

I first noticed that a number of Canadian businesses did this - now the largest ad agencies in the world are doing the same.

I don't know how they are compensated in NYC. I asked the Tim Horton's ad people in Toronto and they said it was an extra week of vacation (paid) for the whole staff....not part of their usual vacation package.

Anyone else work in an industry that does this? Paid or not?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Work for a Business that Closes for a Week?

My husbands business doesn't actually close, but they might as well because most of his customers are on vacation that week, it's always dead. He always takes the week of Christmas off and this year he's taking the week off Christmas and New Years off. He also took this Thanksgiving week off too. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nope although I am kind of hitting paydirt this year holiday wise.  I had Thursday and Friday off paid.  (Had to edit this as I didn't know what day it was, sigh).

Next is Christmas Eve and Day and New Years Eve and Day.  I enjoy 4 day weekends (paid), lol.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

I do........and it's paid..................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Honored Contributor

our business doesnt close for an entire week......just for july 4th, memorial day,  labor, christmas day, and new years day.

i do know that our reglar dentist closes his large office during the week of christmas to new years AND during the week that public school kids go back to school. these weeks are in addition to the time off he gives as part of an individual employees paid time off.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

Many advertising agencies in NYC that we work with (and in Toronto too) will be closed the entire week between Christmas and New Year's.

I first noticed that a number of Canadian businesses did this - now the largest ad agencies in the world are doing the same.

I don't know how they are compensated in NYC. I asked the Tim Horton's ad people in Toronto and they said it was an extra week of vacation (paid) for the whole staff....not part of their usual vacation package.

Anyone else work in an industry that does this? Paid or not?

My daughter works in advertising, they have a skeleton crew. Everyone works one day the week of Christmas and one day the week of New Years.

Honored Contributor

My neice works for a major advertising agency in Chicago.  The offices shut down from December 25th until January 4th this year. 

Esteemed Contributor

The company my husband worked for when were married always gave the week off between Christmas and New Years, that's why we got married in December!  Woman LOL

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Esteemed Contributor

My brother in law owns an engineering firm that does back up power for the FAA and VA. He closes down the week of Christmas because no one from the FAA that oversees those types of projects is in so he closes down usually the Friday before Christmas and doesn't open back up until after NYD. 

My brother also gets the month of December off. He works in Korea for a private defense firm and he hasn't worked in December for a while now. He is overseas a lot though so it is nice that he doesn't have to go in. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My first full-time job,  we were closed, with pay for the entire month of August.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~