Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone With Knowledge of Door Painting? All Tips Appreciated!

I agree that you should go to your nearest Ace Hardware or Sherwin Williams (or other paint store) and let them help you. Take photos of your door and take it with you. I bought some new latex paint for a new door several years ago and immediately realized I should have lightly sanded and primed the door. Obviously I assumed too much and ended up spending more time than I thought was required. But you have a door that's been painted before, so I think it's a matter of determining whether you have latex or oil-based on it already. For those folks who suggest that you take the door off the hinges, that's all well and good if you're a younger person and have the strength to carry that door somewhere for it to be painted! I'd have to hire someone to do that!

Honored Contributor

A word of caution about SHUTTER SAVER on metal doors. While the stuff was effective on vinyl shutters, I tried it on a metal door and it streaked terribly. Test in a really obscure spot if you are trying to revitalize a door.

Super Contributor

Thank you all for the tips. Heart

Hi @Drythe! I live a little south of Winston.

I'm not a youngster, so I'm going to clean them good and paint the doors on their hinges. I do love my steel doors.
Think I'll use TSP Cleaner, the Shutter Saver worries me a bit.

I will probably take your advice and get pictures and go to a paint store for this. I don't want to mess them up or get the wrong paint and primer. I knew the tip, no oil base over latex. I may need to get a bottle of denatured alcohol to check for sure. Or I could just get latex and forget it, but DH wants oil base.....ackkkk! This is not supposed to be that complicated .... LOL!

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Esteemed Contributor

@Tabbycat  Sounds like a great plan and your door will be beautiful for a very long time. Enjoy!!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

Home Depot is a good resource for these types of questions.