Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone Watching "I Am Cait"?

@60sgirl wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I find the show kind of fascinating.  My observation is that Caitlyn (at least at this point) in a very un-feminine female. However, I understand that that has nothing to really do with the whole transition thing.

There were also some members of last nights group who were not convinced that Caitlyn's goal of being a spokesperson for the Gay, Lesbian, Transgender Community was realistic.  They felt that given her "privilege", she could not relate with the actual struggles involved in transitioning.

I agree that Cait is an un-feminine female, and I think it was Kim who said it's because she has always been a tomboy.

As far as the group discussions go, I think they're as "real" as other scripted reality shows in that they're actually there to answer some of the questions that the Jenner publicity machine has seen being asked by people like us on the Internet. For example many here (me included) have wondered how many people would be discouraged by the fact that, even with all his wealth and access to the best surgeons, she still looks like a man in drag. I think Cait wants to be accepted by as many people as possible and hopes to address some of the questions the public has been asking.

Another example is the preview for next week's show where someone in the group asks, "Who in this group is attracted to males?" There is some hemming and hawing and eventually Cait says sheepishly, "I don't know." I'm paraphrasing because I only saw this momentarily.

Cait has said previously that she is not attracted to men. When I first saw the preview I thought it was that she is genuinely confused, but now I think it's possibly the platform she will use to eventually say she is attracted to men (or both men and women). I think she's trying to ease into her new identity with as little fallout from the public as possible. Maybe she didn't want to come out initially and say, "I'm transitioning into a woman and I'm also attracted to men." Maybe she thinks that would be too much too soon. I feel like she's easing into things a little at a time.

Of course that's a lot of conjecture on my part but that's how I see it. 

Those are not riveting questions I need to know. In the scheme of things going on in this world like the elections next year that directly impact me, I don't care about her. She can go on with her life of designer clothes, paparazzi, Malibu homes and so forth, I am sure there are not many trans-anythings that can identify with that. And it will remain to be seen if she spend time with her children or grandchildren as any good parent/grandparent should regardless of that gender issues. 

You couldn't just post your comment without insulting SusieQ_2?  She clearly was not posting her comment for you!

Trusted Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I find the show kind of fascinating.  My observation is that Caitlyn (at least at this point) in a very un-feminine female. However, I understand that that has nothing to really do with the whole transition thing.

There were also some members of last nights group who were not convinced that Caitlyn's goal of being a spokesperson for the Gay, Lesbian, Transgender Community was realistic.  They felt that given her "privilege", she could not relate with the actual struggles involved in transitioning.

I agree that Cait is an un-feminine female, and I think it was Kim who said it's because she has always been a tomboy.

As far as the group discussions go, I think they're as "real" as other scripted reality shows in that they're actually there to answer some of the questions that the Jenner publicity machine has seen being asked by people like us on the Internet. For example many here (me included) have wondered how many people would be discouraged by the fact that, even with all his wealth and access to the best surgeons, she still looks like a man in drag. I think Cait wants to be accepted by as many people as possible and hopes to address some of the questions the public has been asking.

Another example is the preview for next week's show where someone in the group asks, "Who in this group is attracted to males?" There is some hemming and hawing and eventually Cait says sheepishly, "I don't know." I'm paraphrasing because I only saw this momentarily.

Cait has said previously that she is not attracted to men. When I first saw the preview I thought it was that she is genuinely confused, but now I think it's possibly the platform she will use to eventually say she is attracted to men (or both men and women). I think she's trying to ease into her new identity with as little fallout from the public as possible. Maybe she didn't want to come out initially and say, "I'm transitioning into a woman and I'm also attracted to men." Maybe she thinks that would be too much too soon. I feel like she's easing into things a little at a time.

Those are not riveting questions I need to know. In the scheme of things going on in this world like the elections next year that directly impact me, I don't care about her. She can go on with her life of designer clothes, paparazzi, Malibu homes and so forth, I am sure there are not many trans-anythings that can identify with that. And it will remain to be seen if she spend time with her children or grandchildren as any good parent/grandparent should regardless of that gender issues. 

DITTO - VERY TRIVIAL ISSUES THAT DON'T MATTER.

Trusted Contributor

To Seaside Shopper:

In answer to your question:

I could have just posted my answer but than it really wouldn't have made sense would it? 

She brought up the topic of questions and I answered it. It wasn't insulting, it was my opinion on not needing to know those answers.

And BTW, I don't think I owe you an explanatio but I did without quoting you so you won't think I'm insulting you too. Geesh. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do not watch the show but have seen clips from interviews and pictures on the cover of the tabloids.  To me Caitlyn acts an awful lot like a woman who has lost a lot of weight.  Her wardrobe and appearance seem to be her top priority.  There is a clip with Caitlyn and Kim going through her closest.  She picks out a dress that she loves and Kim says Kris has the same dress.  Caitlyn makes a comment about who wore it best?  Who would do that to a woman you loved, married, and had 2 children with?

When the famous cover and article came out, I remember thinking she looked younger than 65.  Seeing her without professional make-up, filters and air brushing, no she doesn't.

Honored Contributor

We are discussing a TV show.  Of course in the grand scheme of things the issues are trivial to some, and no one is comparing them to the importance of the elections.  Do you also go on Housewives threads and mention how trivial their issues are?  My guess is no, and your posts are just a veiled attempt at expressing your disapproval of the transgender issue and the individuals affected by it.

Trusted Contributor

ITA...Fairiemoon. Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen snippets here and there but my conclusion is that Cait/Bruce is totally self involved.  I'm guessing Bruce had a big ego from his Olympic days and never lost it. 

I saw a bit of Kris and Bruce talking (not sure what show it was), Kris was crying and Bruce was pretty cold.  I never thought I would feel sorry for Kris but in this case I did.  They were discussing his hormones and change and how she had no idea it was going on. 

Cait looks really pretty with sunglasses on in some of the photos but can also look very masculine at times.

Esteemed Contributor

@60sgirl wrote:

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:

I guess the point would be that it's not all about you. It's about Cait and why it's called "I am Cait" rather than "I am 60s girl." The issues are important to her and other people who are interested and trying to understand the issues of transgender men and women. 

For people interested in the election there are plenty of places to keep updated. Entertainment Television would be the wrong channel for that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lovethesea 

Just wanted to say thank you for your kind words. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

We are discussing a TV show.  Of course in the grand scheme of things the issues are trivial to some, and no one is comparing them to the importance of the elections.  Do you also go on Housewives threads and mention how trivial their issues are?  My guess is no, and your posts are just a veiled attempt at expressing your disapproval of the transgender issue and the individuals affected by it.

NOT EVEN CLOSE. I TOO WAS DISCUSSING HER SHOW AND ALL THAT SURROUNDS IT INCLUDING THE QUESTIONS SHE MIGHT ANSWER. DON'T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS.  NOT EVERYONE THINKS THIS SHOW IS INSPIRING. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.