Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Spending Thanksgiving Alone?

DH and I are spending ours -- just the two of us.  So many things have changed.  Since my mother passed away last year, the family is pretty fractured and many things have occurred.  We are fortunate to have each other and although we are sad that things will never be the same as they were, we are thankful we have each other and are looking forward to making our own little meal and watching the parade and sharing other little traditions.  I hope each and every person here finds joy and happiness in the day, no matter what you do!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@Tshirtgal  How wonderful of you and your husband.  You are showing the real spirit of Thanksgiving.  Hoping you three have a wonderful day and visit.

Honored Contributor

@Tshirtgal...have a great day....nice thing to do for a friend.

My bff is typically alone on Christmas, so for many years we have invited to our home for dinner....my story is similar to others..fractured family..holidays will never be the same.

DH and I are heading out for a weekend away....we are making the best of the situation, and have been doing so for many years.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  Fractured families, indeed.  Life is not like the movies . . . sure there are so many in the same situation.

Safe travel on your weekend away.  It is such a special gift (better than anything wrapped up in scarlet ribbons and bows) to have your best friend forever over to share a meal on Christmas.  That is the gift that continues to give, whatever the time of year--the present and presence of yourselves.

Honored Contributor

I am spending the day home alone as i'm not feeling well enough to to to my grand daughters for Thanksgiving dinner.

My feeling ill was brought on  started last year when my doctor wanted to lower my thyroid med that i was taking and i felt good.So from 0.075...i was changed to 0.05 ( 0.050)

So,last few months i kept feeling bad...so finally called doctors office for appointment  and was told to have blood work done first.

Friday when    nurse took my bp...was 180/??,did it again and was the same..so she got a different cuff and it came down to 140/100!

Doctor....told me  my bloodwork results..... my hypothroid was not good and put me" back" on dose i used to take   0.075,

now need to be on bp med

,and go back on my lexapro for my back spasms as i have fibro,

and still need my script for vitamin D  50,000 in  as it is still 21 and needs to be in 40's!

So,i'm feeling wobbly today but 

today

I am very"Thankful"  today....that i didn't have a heart attack or stroke from my high bp.

Daughter will  be going to my grandaughters for dinner  and will bring me a plate of food later.

Happy THanksgiving everyone!Heart

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Honored Contributor

i did many many years alone for all my holidays. 

I guess I became cold about any special day. To me it is just another day of the week. Still think like that to this day. 

My husband was in the military for 20 years and never home for any holiday or most of anything else for those 20 years. It was hard, but you just keep pushing your feet forward and moving on. 

We are still together . 48 yrs come monday for us.

DO HOPE ALL WHO CELEBRATE ALONE DO HAVE A SPECIAL DAY NO MATTER HOW IT IS CELEBRATED.

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1- To you and all our wonderful posters here on the Q board - enjoy your day and Happy Thanksgiving! 

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal  Thank you.  Happy Thanksgiving to you.  Enjoy your day.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KailaS wrote:

I am alone but never lonely on holidays. For Thanksgiving I already made home made soup and homemade cranberry salad.  I have sweet potatoes ready for the oven, pulled chicken from the freezer about an hour ago, and bought fresh green beans today. I love to cook, so today already has started my fun. Smiley Wink

I so like your attitude and planned meal. Have a Happy and Be Happy!

Respected Contributor

My dinner is an oops. I preheated the oven, smelled something funny, and then saw sparks and light in my electric oven. The stove blew. I guess the oven had a 4th of July attitude not one of Thanksgiving. I shut the stove outlet off in the fuse box and pulled out the stove and disconnected it from the wall outlet.

Going to warm my vegetables in the microwave, enjoy some dessert, and be thankful for the meal I have.

I believe you are thankful for what you have, deal with it, and not dwell on what you would have want.

Wellness, peace and happiness to all.