Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone Spending Thanksgiving Alone?

i am going to be  laone. but i am cooking a full dinnter for the dogs and myself.

one year, i went to my dad's house and his wwife(who i hated) serve us lefrtovers after her family had been there and had a dinner.  it was ssuch a total joke that i swore that i would never ever go out on thanksgiving again.  and i will cook a dinner for myself and the dogs

Respected Contributor

I think i've spent Christmas alone when I had a back injury one year and couldnt travel.

the strangest Thanksgiving i spent was one year when I had to work the day after. My co-worker friend convinced me there were restaurants open in her town in NH for Thanksgiving. She was from Quebec so AmericanThanksgiving was not her holiday...so i packed my bag and spent a couple nites.

The only place in town  open was Applebees!!  we sat at the bar.  I had a chicken quesadilla and numerous glasses of white wine. the football games were on all the TVs.  It was actually kind of fun!!

Regular Contributor

@esmerelda,

My daughter has a 4 year old wild child and my house isn’t child proof enough. So, she hates to visit.

I offered to get food and cook at her house. She said her kitchen is too small.

I offered to cook at my house and bring everything. She said too much trouble.

We talked about a restaurant, but too expensive.

They think the packaged food is the best ever!

Or maybe, they don’t like my menu. Always possible. Or they think it is easier on me.

Holidays stress her out immensely, so I go along with the program. I focus on enjoying my grandson as much as I can. 

Happy turkey day to all

Dragonfly

Honored Contributor

@Katcat1@Dragonflyveb@CatsyCline@shortbreadlover@esmerelda@dex

In the last few years, we have been more “alone” than ever, but we are happy with that.

DBIL whose wife died unexpected about 5 years ago, will be at our house tomorrow.

We are going to have pork loin and go-withs.

memories come back to me of times with my parents. Thanksgiving was her “forte.” The meal was aromatic and just the best. Her turkey and oyster dressing she made from “Helen Corbett’s Cookbook.”

Her recipes were from times when nobody knew about cholesterol, lol!

E4375CDA-413A-4E76-9BF9-9381441DCF29.jpeg

If you want a gourmet feast for a holiday meal, this is the book for you!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dragonflyveb wrote:

@esmerelda,

My daughter has a 4 year old wild child and my house isn’t child proof enough. So, she hates to visit.

I offered to get food and cook at her house. She said her kitchen is too small.

I offered to cook at my house and bring everything. She said too much trouble.

We talked about a restaurant, but too expensive.

They think the packaged food is the best ever!

Or maybe, they don’t like my menu. Always possible. Or they think it is easier on me.

Holidays stress her out immensely, so I go along with the program. I focus on enjoying my grandson as much as I can. 

Happy turkey day to all

Dragonfly

@DragonflyvebThanks for replying.  Now that you've shared details, I understand.  I think it's wonderful that you spend time with them in what seems to be the only way you can.  Have a wonderful day with them and enjoy your traditional meal later.  And please forgive me for speaking out of turn.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For everyone on the board ,no matter what your day is like, I wish you all the blessings of the season.

WE are sort of a cyber family ,here( like most families ,we squabble at times), but when the chips are down,  the wagons circle , to give protection,  and comfort

I am so happy ,I had the chance to meet all of you, and share your joys, problems, and hopes for a better tomorrow

love

cherry

Honored Contributor

@cherry.....very sweet thoughts.....wish the same for you.

Esteemed Contributor

@ShowMe That's very sweet.

@gidgetgh Sounds good to me!

@shortbreadlover Wow! Just when you think you've heard everything!
I predict you and your fur babies will have a good time!

I am dreading tomorrow ~ there are people coming here under circumstances I'm not comfortable with.....rude people, but I have to tolerate them because they're FAAAMMMMILLLYY if I had my way it would only be me, my hubs, and my daughter......oh and of course Grandpuglet Daisy.......

Altho my "company" best be on their good behavior, I'll put it like that.....

Anyway I'll be here later on....to tell the truth I'd rather mark the occasion on the Q board.......sigh......

Respected Contributor

The best thing to do if you find yourself on your own is to invite other friends who don't have a place to go over.  We have done this for years and it's great fun. 

Valued Contributor

@Katcat1  Yup, but with my cat. I made turkey breast already in my pressure cooker. I'm going to bake a huge pumpkin and save my calories for lots of red wine. I already had pumpkin pie earlier. I'll be binge watching the Godfather movies. Happy Thanksgiving.