Super Contributor

Anyone Speak Italian or Latin

[ Edited ]

I recently located my father's baptismal records online and I was surprised that his name was listed as Aemilum Joseph (last name).  I have never heard Aemilum and I am not sure whether it is supposed to be his first name or whether it has some other meaning.  There is no one left alive in my family to ask and I have done some research and think it may be an old, old Italian (or Roman) name.  Any ideas?

Esteemed Contributor

Aemilum is most likely Latin, not Italian.

Respected Contributor

Google it...

Super Contributor

@bmorechick - i have googled it with little success.  I did see that it was the middle word for the name of a publishing company.

@qbetzforreal  - I agree that it is probably Latin which I referred to as old Roman.  I wondered if it was somehow part of the process of being baptized in the Catholic faith.

Honored Contributor

@Carolm wrote:

I recently located my father's baptismal records online and I was surprised that his name was listed as Aemilum Joseph (last name).  I have never heard Aemilum and I am not sure whether it is supposed to be his first name or whether it has some other meaning.  There is no one left alive in my family to ask and I have done some research and think it may be an old, old Italian (or Roman) name.  Any ideas?

@Carolm @It means Emilia. Could be Emilio.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carolm  Was your father Catholic?  Perhaps contacting your local parish may get you an answer.

Honored Contributor

Sounds Latin to me, probably used in Italy and possibly Greece.  

Super Contributor

@Mindy D - Thank you so much.  I suspect mystery is solved.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Carolm wrote:

@Carolm @It means Emilia. Could be Emilio.

@CarolmYes, using Google Translate, Emilia comes up.

Honored Contributor

My Latin doesn't go beyond having to learn to read prescriptions in the 70s/80s.  

One thing I have done from time to time to find out what a word means in one language or another is to Google  - Latin to English - (put the word here).

Example:   Spanish to English - mesa

Hit enter and you get the answer - table

HTH  Smiley Happy

You can also do it backwards, eg: English to Spanish - table, and you'll get the response mesa.