Honored Contributor

Anyone See Shelley Duvall On Dr. Phil?

I just read an article about Dr. Phil putting a very ill Shelley Duvall  (actress producer, etc.) on his show and an open letter in response. 

Stanley Kubrick's daughter Vivian wrote how disgusted she was that he put her "on show" during her struggle with mental illness.

I didn't see it but it sounds horrible to me.  Did anyone here see it and did they think there was any decent reason to do that?

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone See Shelley Duvall On Dr. Phil?

I think it's on tomorrow.

Honored Contributor

No but judging from her photo today on Fox and People she as some problems.

I hope she gets well soon.

Shelley Duvall: I need help

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

It's going to air tomorrow, (Friday). I saw a short clip on today's show. She really looks bad. Very heavy and disheveled. 

Honored Contributor

I think it is on tomorrow's show if you want to see it.I think that is sad and Dr Phil is very unkind to put her through that. 

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I just read an article about Dr. Phil putting a very ill Shelley Duvall  (actress producer, etc.) on his show and an open letter in response. 

Stanley Kubrick's daughter Vivian wrote how disgusted she was that he put her "on show" during her struggle with mental illness.

I didn't see it but it sounds horrible to me.  Did anyone here see it and did they think there was any decent reason to do that?

I only saw the commercial.  The actual episode airs until tomorrow (11-18-16).  I don't know any details of how the two got together, but she knows she's not well and admitted she needs help.  Dr. Phil replied, "That's what I'm here for" (or something to that effect).

Honored Contributor

That is too bad and sad, I hope she gets the help that she needs. I can't even remember the last time I saw her in anything......

Esteemed Contributor

Hi Noel,

To answer your question, no, I haven't seen the show.  I don't care for him and if his show was the only one on television, i would turn it off. 

Keep Your Face To The Sunshine and You Will Not See The Shadow
Honored Contributor

I THINK it might be on tomorrow.  The show is running the advertising of her hitting rock bottom and showing some of the interview over and over.  You can tell her mental abilities aren't there.  He questions her about something strange she believes and she comments about it!  It's so sad.

I agree that he is exploiting her and her mental problems.  I don't know who is caring for her, but it should never happen (her being on the show), unless she has been left alone and no one is helping her.  If that is the case maybe her friends aren't aware of how bad her life has gotten and she can get the help she needs through the show.

I can't stand Dr. Phil.  Today they have the 2nd part of a young woman who had the worst childhood (don't want to go into it here) a person could have, all of the details, etc.  It goes into, they'll show and discuss everything on this show.  This show comes on here on the East coast at 4:00PM.  Children are home from school here and it is unbelievable!  I'm not a prude, I'm all for helping people but come on, he is obviously exploiting this young woman by going to the extremes he is.  Some of this stuff could be done without TV cameras and an audience.

I saw a few minutes where Dr Phil said a bunch of stuff to her father and the audience aplauded and whistled (saying Dr. Phil was right and good for going after the Father who spent several years in jail for this).  I don't believe the Father truly realizes what a terrible thing he did but his lips are moving.  Anyway, it's all for the show.  I think she should have had a face to face if she wanted to without TV cameras there or if they were there the film should be made available ONLY for the young woman to see.  It's pure exploitation to me.  Some might disagree and that's everyone's opinion, this is mine.

Dr. Phil has a platform (his money and fame) to help people but there are some things and ways he could help people without putting them on TV!

If I see that young man who is having epileptic episodes from alcoholism (right on camera) again!  Good grief...he's coming on too in a few days.

Is it sweeps week?  Ugh!

Honored Contributor

EVERYONE Re: Anyone See Shelley Duvall On Dr. Phil?

THANKS EVERYONE for letting me know it's tomorrow.  The report wasn't clear.

I can't forsee any good reason for having her on the show.  @MyGirlsMom I don't like him, either.  This just makes it worse.