Honored Contributor

Anyone Have Success Removing Odor from New Clothing

I purchased a faux leather jacket and I love it and really want to keep it but it has a weird oil smell.  Tried airing it out with no luck  Did a search and found a suggestion to wipe it down with vinegar and a damp cloth.  Has anyone tried vinegar for this?  Kind of hesitant that the vinegar will hurt the material.  If you had a similar situation that was successful, what did you use?

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have Success Removing Odor from New Clothing

I swear by Don Aslett's XO Deodorizer for noxious odors of all types including QVC clothing odors.  I've found that Amazon has the best deal on it.  I mix it 50/50 with water and spray lightly twice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Thanks!  I'll give it a shot.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954   I use Febreze FABRIC spray, original scent successfully.  Works well on tobacco smells so might work on your faux leather jacket.

Sometimes I spray it on and put the item in the "air" cycle (no heat) in the dryer.

I've also sprayed the item and hung it up outide in the sunshine.

My significant  other smokes an occasional cigar.

Hope you find a solution.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954  I would wipe it down with the vinegar but you can try it first on the inside of the jacket. Usually vinegar works very well in the washing machine but since it´s faux leather I would just wipe it down.

Honored Contributor

I have a covered back porch so I hang the item on the light fixture and ignore it for several weeks.  Drastic but it works.  I never buy black anything, I think there is something peculiar to black dye, especially confined to a ship for several months.  

Honored Contributor

'As strange as this sounds' (again), try wrapping it in newspaper newsprint.

Not the photos, but the print.

Keep it wrapped for a week or so.

Make sure you post a large note on top, reminding others and/or yourself to not throw it out.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

'As strange as this sounds' (again), try wrapping it in newspaper newsprint.

Not the photos, but the print.

Keep it wrapped for a week or so.

Make sure you post a large note on top, reminding others and/or yourself to not throw it out.

Really?  Does sound like nothing I've ever heard.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I swear by Don Aslett's XO Deodorizer for noxious odors of all types including QVC clothing odors.  I've found that Amazon has the best deal on it.  I mix it 50/50 with water and spray lightly twice.

By the way, thanks for that amazing product suggestion.  I ordered from Amazon and I tried it on a couple things and it worked amazing.  Then tried it on the jacket and it has NO odor.  I am very, very sensitive to even the slightest odors.  Thanks again.  

Honored Contributor

NO------nothing worked. I don't care what DYI things there are---mostly on black jeans----horrible smell--got a couple pairs of D & Co black jeans and had to sent them back. happened more than once especially when you buy them online. Also happened with a pair of DG2 jeans sent them back. I NEED to be at a store, in person , to sniff them!!! I know, weird,  especially now days. And a few times, I just threw them away.