Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have Any Advice on avoiding Outer Banks Traffic?

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

OB?   Is this in the United States?   

@Tinkrbl44 

OB......outer banks, north carolina.....also known as OBX.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

my daughter and her fiance went two summers ago and they left around 1am in the morning. they drove, stopped for some food, stopped for gas, and got there pretty early. they ate again and did their grocery shopping for their time there. they did a little walking and they got an  early check in. no issues with bad traffic. definitely leave home and arrive at an off time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

OB?   Is this in the United States?   

@Tinkrbl44 

OB......outer banks, north carolina.....also known as OBX.

@sunshine45 

Thank you ... I grew up on the east coast and never heard of OB until today.  Hmm.

Honored Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

@Lipstickdiva  We just arrived in Duck this afternoon. We got to the bridge at 12:50 pm and drove right across. There was no back up. 

ETA: The slick rest stop just over the NC border is now open. I think it's called the Currituck Welcome Center. They provide clean restrooms, coffee and hot water for tea, maps of the Outer Banks and a gazillion brochures on areas of interest. They also have a small souvenir counter. The staff are very welcoming and helpful.

@Eileen in Virginia thank you so much.  I hope you enjoy your vacation!  I appreciate all of your help.  

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

my daughter and her fiance went two summers ago and they left around 1am in the morning. they drove, stopped for some food, stopped for gas, and got there pretty early. they ate again and did their grocery shopping for their time there. they did a little walking and they got an  early check in. no issues with bad traffic. definitely leave home and arrive at an off time.

@sunshine45 , our plan is to leave at 1:00 a.m. as well.   

Honored Contributor

Hi @Lipstickdiva ,

Just wondering if you enjoyed your trip to OBX?

We got back last week.

We had to leave NJ early in the morning (day of check in) my husband couldn't get off Friday. We took the Ferry to Lewes Del and had no traffic till we hit NC..then it took us 5 more hours to get there. Traffic was horrific...the worst we have seen since the early 90's before the roads were made wider.

Hope you had a enjoyable vacation.

Honored Contributor

@DREAMON wrote:

Hi @Lipstickdiva ,

Just wondering if you enjoyed your trip to OBX?

We got back last week.

We had to leave NJ early in the morning (day of check in) my husband couldn't get off Friday. We took the Ferry to Lewes Del and had no traffic till we hit NC..then it took us 5 more hours to get there. Traffic was horrific...the worst we have seen since the early 90's before the roads were made wider.

Hope you had a enjoyable vacation.

@DREAMON , I did enjoy it once we finally got there.  To be honest, I don't ever want to make that drive again though.  LOL

It took us nearly 14 hours to get there and according to our GPS it was going to take about 10 1/2.  Traffic was very heavy but we were only backed up on the bridge for about 45 minutes.  

They have rented a house again already for next year in a different area and this time they did it from Sunday to Sunday so hopefully that will avoid some of the traffic delays.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva , 

We go every last week in September for our 2nd trip of the year.... my husband and I  go alone and stay in South Nags Head.

The trip in September takes atleast half the amount of time. It is beautiful there in the Fall. We always purchase trip insurance due to Hurricane Season.   

Sunday traffic is not quite as bad as Saturday.