Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Getting Tired of Mopping the Mud Room Floor?

We have an attached garage and all boots and shoes are removed out there, then there are three stairs and a landing that is carpeted with indoor/outdoor 'grass' type covering that we walk up (and down) in bare or stocking feet. There is a rack for hanging shoes up at the bottom of the steps, and space for the boots to be lined up on the floor underneath  it. Really wet/snowy/muddy boots shoes are set off to the side to dry out. 

This keeps a ton of dirt out of my house, and we never wear shoes in the house. I sweep the garage floor almost every day, and it is shocking what accumulates out there in just 24 hours.

Except for your mother, maybe it would lessen the mess if you all set up a nice shoe/boot area out in the garage, with a rug for comfort, a bench and specified place to hang/line up the footwear. Might take some getting used to, but it is the kind of thing I would work at if I really didn't like all that dirt coming into the house. That dirt isn't staying in the mud room, but some is making it into the rest of the house as well.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I can hear how upset you are over this. I don't have an answer for you, maybe it's something you just have to deal with. I have pets and every time they go out and come back in the track mud or snow in also. It's just Something you have to deal with this time of year.

@sweetee2

We have resorted to using diaper wipes on the dog when she comes in. We did this with our last dog as well. They quickly learn to wait at the door (but are inside the garage) while each paw is cleaned. Most of the time it only takes a minute! If you had to stand outdoors to do this, I wouldn't recommend it, though, could be rather cold or wet!

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

OK so it's cold in the garage but   really how long does,it take to sit down and remove boots and slide into a pair of slippers?  Maybe two minutes?  Put a bench out there and a basket with slippers in it and change in the garage.

Elderly mom of the OP might not find this comfortable, but everyone else should be able to handle it. And we don't mess with the slippers. It's just a few steps into the house, a rug is enough on the feet for that long.

Esteemed Contributor

@Brinklii wrote:

@twinny70 ... We have one of those boot pans also, but you still need to take a few steps to get to it...and mud, snow, and salt shake off onto the floor. Maybe I need to move it closer to the door, but everyone still needs to take a few steps to close the door immediately since the garage is so cold. That's why I don't have it right inside the door.

Lucky that you're having such a mild winter in S. WI! It's actually been mild in N. WI also...relatively speaking. We still have snow and ice. I heard that S. WI doesn't have it.

We don't have any snow & our lawn is green.  After 2 cold days, we are supposed to be in the 40's again tomorrow.  How close to Eagle River are you?   One of our favorite pastor's lives there.  We used to have family friends that lived in Crandon when I was a kid.  Such fun memories there too.

Respected Contributor

mominohio:   You too, I have my dog trained to stop once he comes in the house, wait for me to towel off his paws and if they are really wet, his paws get blow dryed.  I started really young with the blow dryer so he's not afraid of the noise and I use it on him after he gets his bath too.

The things us dog owners do for our pets....nothing but pampering.

Honored Contributor

For me, that would be a garage. I have NO mud room. Sure don't wash that garage.

Respected Contributor

@magicmoodz ... You are right...we don't do our own shoveling. We did when we were younger, but you hear of too many people either hurting their backs or dropping over from a heart attack while shoveling...especially that heavy, wet stuff.

If it's heavy enough to need a plow, we have one guy shovel the walkways and deck after he plows the driveway. Otherwise, a younger guy down the road handles the lighter snow on the walkways.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

We have an attached garage and all boots and shoes are removed out there, then there are three stairs and a landing that is carpeted with indoor/outdoor 'grass' type covering that we walk up (and down) in bare or stocking feet. There is a rack for hanging shoes up at the bottom of the steps, and space for the boots to be lined up on the floor underneath  it. Really wet/snowy/muddy boots shoes are set off to the side to dry out. 

This keeps a ton of dirt out of my house, and we never wear shoes in the house. I sweep the garage floor almost every day, and it is shocking what accumulates out there in just 24 hours.

Except for your mother, maybe it would lessen the mess if you all set up a nice shoe/boot area out in the garage, with a rug for comfort, a bench and specified place to hang/line up the footwear. Might take some getting used to, but it is the kind of thing I would work at if I really didn't like all that dirt coming into the house. That dirt isn't staying in the mud room, but some is making it into the rest of the house as well.

Wow...I'm impressed! You sweep the garage out almost every day. That would be my husband's job every now and then around here, but it doesn't get done at all once the snow starts flying!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@twinny70 wrote:

@Brinklii wrote:

@twinny70 ... We have one of those boot pans also, but you still need to take a few steps to get to it...and mud, snow, and salt shake off onto the floor. Maybe I need to move it closer to the door, but everyone still needs to take a few steps to close the door immediately since the garage is so cold. That's why I don't have it right inside the door.

Lucky that you're having such a mild winter in S. WI! It's actually been mild in N. WI also...relatively speaking. We still have snow and ice. I heard that S. WI doesn't have it.

We don't have any snow & our lawn is green.  After 2 cold days, we are supposed to be in the 40's again tomorrow.  How close to Eagle River are you?   One of our favorite pastor's lives there.  We used to have family friends that lived in Crandon when I was a kid.  Such fun memories there too.

@twinny ... Eagle River is about 30 miles from where we live. We get to Crandon and Eagle River every now and then for fests and craft shows in the summer, but usually we are more inclined to go South to Wausau where they have some real shopping compared to what we have.

Trusted Contributor

@Yardlie

You are welcome Smiley Happy

I've found towels work great, especially when you have a dog.  When I had a dog, he had his own set of towels.  His paws and belly would get wiped off before he came into my home.  And my house never smelled like a dirty, wet dog  Smiley Happy   And he never tracked any dirt into my home.