Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Getting Tired of Mopping the Mud Room Floor?

I purchased mine at BBB.  I had coupons for the runners and also picked up a few smaller oblong ones for the bathrooms. Mine are just basic but they have them in plush styles, etc.  They have a variety of colors and sizes but my goal was to be able to get them all in one load in the washer and dryer.    

Respected Contributor

@MarieIG wrote:
Wish I had a mud room to mop! Everyone except your mother can brush their boots off in the garage, and stomp their feet on a mat outside the mud room. Momma, gets to come into the mud room, sit on (hopefully there is a place for her to sit), wipe down and remove her boots in there. You just can't take a chance on Momma falling - it's so not worth it.

@MarielG ... I'm glad that you can understand that part. The space in the garage by the door is rather limited when we have both cars in there. My husband has a little workshop in a separate room off the garage. He takes a heater out there if he uses it in the winter. Guess this is all part of the joy of living in the Northwoods!

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I purchased mine at BBB.  I had coupons for the runners and also picked up a few smaller oblong ones for the bathrooms. Mine are just basic but they have them in plush styles, etc.  They have a variety of colors and sizes but my goal was to be able to get them all in one load in the washer and dryer.    

Thank you, Fressa! Yes, they would need to be washed frequently, but at least I wouldn't have to mop the floor everytime someone comes in. I would also want to wash them all in one load...always so much laundry to do.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

We have a ramp in the garage that leads to the entrance door in my TV/multi-purpose room.   Everyone leaves their shoes on the ramp before stepping inside.   I also have large L L Bean floor mats at every entrance---inside and outside.   

Respected Contributor

This saves my floor especially with the dog coming in from outside.

There's a rug that captures everything, it's made for that very reason.

I have seen them sold at Costco, just looked at their website and it's called the golden west miracle door rug.  

Hopefully buying something like that can at least alleviate wiping up the floor everyday.    

Esteemed Contributor

We moved to a condo with heated underground parking, so I don't have that problem any longer.  

But oh how I hated the stuff we dragged  into our former home.  Worse than snow or salt is the sand that is used to stop us from falling down and breaking our necks.  

Valued Contributor

Don Aslett's 20" x 35" Outdoor Dirt Trapping AstroTurf Mat — QVC.com

V34217

Honored Contributor

YES!  And tired of looking like a wet mop!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

I don't have a mud room, but I live on the second floor of a condo.  As soon as I enter the condo, I have a dark oriental rug.  I take my shoes off as I enter and leave them on the rug on top of a towel.  I use the towel to catch any salt/sand/pebbles that might be on the bottom of my shoes.

Maybe you can use towels to wipe off the shoes in the garage and then have everyone remove their shoes once the come into the mudroom?  Not sure if this would help.

Honored Contributor

Joan Rivers' take on cleaning: "Why bother cleaning. 6 months later, you have to do it all over again"!