Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Familiar with Hospital Rules & Regulations?

I'd ask about it, I don't think its normal at all. If it is normal in that hospital, they need to be reported to someone.

Respected Contributor

Of course it's not normal. Why have you or other family members not reported iy?

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have an elderly family member that has been in a major hospital for over a week.  It appears the bedding/entire room has not been cleaned and sheets have not been changed since he's been there.  

Is this the normal today?  I remember many years ago when I was hospitalized my bed sheets were changed daily whether I liked it or not. 

Thoughts?  I don't want to report it if I'm out of line.  

@Sunshine Kate, In the event you get an answer you don't like ~ it's best to contact your state's governining body for hospitals and long term care facilities.  Every state has a regulatory body.  Each state sets the parameters for what they consider "best practices" when it comes to doing things like this. For instance, your own state's department of health.  Check their website, see what they have to say. 

Then, on to the hospital's administrator.  Please do the above first (state health website) so that you know what you are talking about when you speak to the administrators.  Then can't give you the run around if you know your patient's rights!

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That hospital is breaking the rules when it comes to accreditation. They can lose their reputation as well. This should be reported to the hospital administrators. This sort of thing is one reason for nosocomial infection outbreaks. Not good.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate, I understand everyone's indignation, but one important thing to remember is not to accuse, not to threaten, and not to go at the supervisors with guns blazing. Your loved one is in a vulnerable situation and you don't want to ruffle feathers initially. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

You mentioned that this person is elderly.  I ask this because I've had a "similar" experience.  Elderly aunt hospitalized.  Her room appeared to be okay - I know that when I was there, nurses and nurses aids came in to check her bed and see that she moved around a little. I was never there when housekeeping came in, but I did note that the trash had been emptied.

She complained that no one was caring for her or her room. But I found out that she was geing cared for well and that her sheets were being changed (I put a little mark on the bottom sheet so I could tell).  Her bathroom was well stocked and since she had spilled a little red punch, I know the floor was being mopped.  I am glad I did a little checking before I complained.  Those of us who are elderly?? do tend to forget and imagine sometimes. I'm just suggesting that you verify before you complain.

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately they do not change them daily if they are not soiled. Usually they put a bedding pad down and change that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

That hospital is breaking the rules when it comes to accreditation. They can lose their reputation as well. This should be reported to the hospital administrators. This sort of thing is one reason for nosocomial infection outbreaks. Not good.

Not necessarily.  I've read where many hospitals will only do this every other day.  Things have changed.  It also depends on what unit you're in.  So yeah, it's best to know the law and your rights FIRST.

*Call Tyrone*
Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have an elderly family member that has been in a major hospital for over a week.  It appears the bedding/entire room has not been cleaned and sheets have not been changed since he's been there.  

Is this the normal today?  I remember many years ago when I was hospitalized my bed sheets were changed daily whether I liked it or not. 

Thoughts?  I don't want to report it if I'm out of line.  

____

I have had several hopitalizations in the last two years.  My bed linens were not changed at all during two six-day-long stays.  I did get fresh towels in the bathroom and a trash can in the bathroom emptied.  And I received one visit per shift from nursing staff and one visit per shift from the nursing assistant.  I did not even get a clean gown until I reminded the staff for one visit that I had been admitted during the middle of the night for emergency surgery and did not have any of my own nightgowns or anything else with me.  Things have changed, but I would ask if you are concerned.   

Honored Contributor

@SaRina exactly.....be p!easant as it could've been an oversight.....no excuse though.  You all don't want to be  viewed as difficult.  I've been there and done that!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G