Super Contributor

Anyone Ever Take Their Pet on Commercial Airplane With Them?

Hi, Pet Lovers. I just booked our Christmas travel flights. We will be flying within the United States. DH and I are taking our cat with us on United Airlines as she needs special attention. I was able to book kitty, but got bounced around to three different people...none of whom knew anything about taking a pet on the aircraft other than the dimensions of the kennel. We will have a soft-sided kennel, which will go under one of our seats.

I'm looking for additional advice. I found a site that described the type of kennel that needed to be used...waterproof on the bottom and the size of the kennel for her particular weight/height. It also sold several accessories. I will be taking along food, water, and her medication for in-flight use.

I'm wondering if the cat needs to come out of the kennel when she goes through security? That site kind of implied that the pet needed to come out of the kennel, and it sold special collars and leashes.

Also, apparently the cat needs a health certificate from the vet within 10 days of flying. Does the vet have this certificate, or do I need to get one from the airline? The site I found that sells all these special kennels, etc. for the pets said they have the certificate, which they sell for $9.95.

If your pet has ever traveled in-cabin with you, I would appreciate any information and special tips that you have. Thank you!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Occasional Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Take Their Pet on Commercial Airplane With Them?

Hello, I can only speak for me. We traveled from Newark airport to San Diego, 3 different times. WE used Continental--no longer in service--and will be using Delta-In October. I have a pet carrier--with mesh on 2 sides--that is airline approved. Yes you take your pet out of the carrier when going thru the machine. I actually never had to give any proof of her shots--but take them just in case. I never heard of special collars or leashes--I just have her normal stuff--You would want a collar and leash when you take her out of the carrier, when you get to the machines. It's not a big deal--so don't worry. I have see cats taken a number of times--We told the airline-when we booked the tickets. They told us as per usual, we had to pay for her when we got to the airport. The cats that were on the plane with me--I only heard a cry once or twice--no big deal. Don't stress about this---I'm sure everything will go smooth. Good luck--{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

Several years ago I flew with my beautiful black Persian Abu from Spokane, Washington to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida where his family was in dental school. I also flew back to Spokane with him a couple years later. Back then they did require a current shot record and recent clearance from a vet. His carrier had to be below a certain weight (can't remember what the weight was but he was a big boy and it was a challenge) and had to fit under the seat. Found the lightest, soft-sided carrier I could. I had to take him out of the carrier at security but it was only for a few minutes. He hardly made a sound on the plane. I don't think anyone except those right next to us even knew he was there. Lost that sweet boy over a year ago and still miss him. Good luck!

Super Contributor

TSA will check the carrier for whatever it is they check your luggage for (bombs, cocaine, large bottles of shampoo, etc). So you do need to take the animal out of the carrier for that. You don't need a special leash or anything; I just held my cat.

The vet has the forms, you don't need to provide them.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Respected Contributor

I would definitely have a harness on the cat if it will need to come out of the carrier. You never know if something is going to spook the cat, and you want to be able to have a very secure hold on it.

I flew on a plane where someone brought a cat. The poor cat howled through a lot of the flight even though the girl had given him a sedative. {#emotions_dlg.sad}

Super Contributor

We have taken many flights with our cats. Jet Blue is our preferred carrier -- they are very pet-friendly.

I would suggest that you buy a small dog harness (buy one that doesn't have that easy-open safety clasp) and a leash for your cat.

You have to take your cat out when going through security and you do not want to do that without having your cat safely harnessed and leashed. There are sudden noises and disturbances that will cause a normally calm cat to bolt -- don't take any chances -- keep your cat in your arms but make sure he/she is in a harness and you are holding onto the leash.

Before you go on your flight, put the harness on your cat and get him/her used to it. Put the cat in a room where he/she can walk around with the harness safely. Usually cats will flop over with the harness on -- but when pulled slightly with the leash, they will walk.

Harness your cat and walk with him/her as much as you can before you leave on your trip. (Not that you are trying to train your cat to walk on the leash -- you just want the cat to feel comfortable while wearing the harness.)

We usually buy a water with a pop-top and give water to our cats in the sides of their mouths while they are on the plane flight. We also give them canned cat food while traveling (because it has more moisture in it) and give them treats (crushed in our fingers) for them to eat.

There are some people who have let their cats use a litter box in the airport restroom (while harnessed and leashed). There are some travel litter boxes that you can take along with you. I saw a woman set up a travel litter box in the women's bathroom at the airport and she let her (harnessed & leashed) cat piddle in the litter box.

I've also seen people put a piddle pad down in the restroom and place about a 1/2 cup of lightweight litter on the piddle pad. The (harnessed & leashed) cat then scratched a bit and then piddled on the piddle pad. (I would imagine that these people trained their cat to do this beforehand.)

I usually line my cats soft-carrier with a small tea towel and put a piddle pad underneath the towel just in case she has to piddle before we get to the hotel.

If your hotel is close by I'd wait to let the cat piddle (in a litter box) when you arrive at the hotel.

I've never sedated our cats for a plane flight. I've observed sedated cats howling like mad during the entire trip. Our cats meow for about the first 15 minutes of the trip and then they settle in and go to sleep. Smiley Happy

You get the health certificate from your vet. Just make sure that your cat is up to date with his/her vaccinations. Then drop by your vet a few days before you leave and pick up the health certificate. Take a color copy of the health certificate and keep it in your purse. Put the original with your plane tickets.

Happy traveling! Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

This is the cat carrier that we use for most of our cats:

I like it because I can unzip the top just a little bit so the cat can put his head out and look around. I can give him water and treats through the small opening in the top.
This carrier has a wooden bottom covered by a faux Sherpa cover. I wrap a piddle pad around the cover and I wrap a small towel around the cover so the piddle pad stays put.
There is a tag to write your cats name on. I have my cats first name, my last name and phone number and my vets name and phone number on this tag.
By the way, I keep the harness on my cat for the entire flight. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

6 years ago, I purchased a puppy from out of state and I flew up to get her. I brought her back in a carrier like the poster above described. When I went thought security, I simply took her out of the carrier and carried her through the screening. I brought with me some small bowls with lids, a little food, and I bought water in the airport. I also brought some wee, wee, pads, so she was well padded. I used the handicap bathroom for one and locked the door and was able to let her out a little bit to pee on a pad and to get some water in. She went under the seat and did well. I flew on Air Tran and it was $69 to bring her aboard. She was very quite and no one even knew she was there. The flight attendant said as I was leaving she had no clue that I had her on board. Today, she is a happy and healthy 5 year old Sheltie, about to be 6 sigh! time flies. I got her Thanksgiving weekend in 2008. Air tran has been sold since then so I do not know the rules now. I did not need her vaccination record but I had it with me.
Honored Contributor

On 9/8/2014 Jeremiah 2911 said:

I like it because I can unzip the top just a little bit so the cat can put his head out and look around. I can give him water and treats through the small opening in the top.
This carrier has a wooden bottom covered by a faux Sherpa cover. I wrap a piddle pad around the cover and I wrap a small towel around the cover so the piddle pad stays put.
There is a tag to write your cats name on. I have my cats first name, my last name and phone number and my vets name and phone number on this tag.

This is fantastic, J. 8)

Do you happen to know who makes it? TIA...

Super Contributor

On 9/8/2014 feline groovy said:
On 9/8/2014 Jeremiah 2911 said:

This is fantastic, J. 8)

Do you happen to know who makes it? TIA...

This carrier is made by SHERPA. Here's a link for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/Sherpa-97005-Element-Pet-Carrier/dp/B002LNLS9Q

You're very welcome... Smiley Happy