Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Ever Take Their Pet on Commercial Airplane With Them?

On 9/12/2014 Madisson said:
On 9/11/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/11/2014 Madisson said:
On 9/9/2014 happy housewife said:

So if someone is severely allergic to cats - which is not uncommon - this is yet another thing that has to be tolerated. I may never fly again!

Such drama. Cats have been flying in-cabin for years...with apparently no problems. We paid $250 round trip for that right. The cat stays in their carrier under the seat the entire trip. If someone is severely allergic, I'm sure the flight attendant could arrange to move them.

Are we going to start saying that nobody with a cold can fly because they will spread their germs to others? You're exposed to a lot besides cat dander on planes.

No problem to the cat owner does not mean it was no problem to anyone else.

The same can be said of people who are ill. Literally everytime I fly I pick up a bug from all the sick people on the plane...usually a cold as I get the flu shot. Colds last 14 days. The last time I flew, I started taking Zicam a week before I flew, and if was the first time in many years that I didn't get sick from flying. At least someone who is allergic to cats only has to suffer for less than a day if they come into contact with cat dander. People who are allergic to cats can always asked to be moved or take an antihistamine if they start having symptoms. Are we going to give everyone physicals before they fly to make sure they don't have a virus or allergies? Ridiculous! We all have different things we are sensitive to. The rest of the world should not have to pay for that. So...don't fly if it bothers you that much.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE ASTHMA AND ARE ALLERGIC TO ANIMAL DANDER AND CAN ACTUALLY RESPIRATORY ARREST AND DIE FROM EXPOSURE TO IT. people do not expect to get on a plane and be exposed to animal dander.

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/11/2014 happy housewife said:
On 9/11/2014 Madisson said:
On 9/9/2014 happy housewife said:

So if someone is severely allergic to cats - which is not uncommon - this is yet another thing that has to be tolerated. I may never fly again!

Such drama. Cats have been flying in-cabin for years...with apparently no problems. We paid $250 round trip for that right. The cat stays in their carrier under the seat the entire trip. If someone is severely allergic, I'm sure the flight attendant could arrange to move them.

Are we going to start saying that nobody with a cold can fly because they will spread their germs to others? You're exposed to a lot besides cat dander on planes.

No problem to the cat owner does not mean it was no problem to anyone else.

The same can be said of people who are ill. Literally everytime I fly I pick up a bug from all the sick people on the plane...usually a cold as I get the flu shot. Colds last 14 days. The last time I flew, I started taking Zicam a week before I flew, and if was the first time in many years that I didn't get sick from flying. At least someone who is allergic to cats only has to suffer for less than a day if they come into contact with cat dander. People who are allergic to cats can always asked to be moved or take an antihistamine if they start having symptoms. Are we going to give everyone physicals before they fly to make sure they don't have a virus or allergies? Ridiculous! We all have different things we are sensitive to. The rest of the world should not have to pay for that. So...don't fly if it bothers you that much.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE ASTHMA AND ARE ALLERGIC TO ANIMAL DANDER AND CAN ACTUALLY RESPIRATORY ARREST AND DIE FROM EXPOSURE TO IT. people do not expect to get on a plane and be exposed to animal dander.

Yeah, no kidding! I have asthma, and I'm a nurse practitioner so I know about respiratory arrest. I think you're being overly dramatic again. I'm sure nobody has died from exposure to a cat on a plane. They usually do not even know the cat is there. However, people have no doubt picked up other viruses and illnesses on planes...e.g. TB. Now we have Ebola. What if you're sitting next to someone who has it? If you're that concerned, don't fly...but trains and buses allow pets also. Guess you'll just have to drive wherever you go.

P.S. Stop screaming.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Super Contributor

When we flew with my cat, much as I wanted her in the cabin with me, I decided she should go in the hold because she's a howler. The other passengers wouldn't have appreciated her ability to complain non-stop for two hours. She's as good as gold at home, but put her in a carrier and take her somewhere, and she becomes a real ginger whinger.

Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 Clover29 said:

When we flew with my cat, much as I wanted her in the cabin with me, I decided she should go in the hold because she's a howler. The other passengers wouldn't have appreciated her ability to complain non-stop for two hours. She's as good as gold at home, but put her in a carrier and take her somewhere, and she becomes a real ginger whinger.

I know what you are saying, Clover. Unfortunately, the first flight we'll be taking is a small one from a regional airport. The cargo area is not pressurized on that plane, so my cat has to go in the cabin with us. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she behaves.

Super Contributor

Soothing Cat Sounds -- might help keep your kitty calm while traveling. Click on this link and you can listen to the sounds:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIBAZKO/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp?ie=UTF8&qid=1410557789&sr=8-8

Might be worth a try. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Thanks, Jeremiah...I'll check it out. Smile

Trusted Contributor

I know what you are saying, Clover. Unfortunately, the first flight we'll be taking is a small one from a regional airport. The cargo area is not pressurized on that plane, so my cat has to go in the cabin with us. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she behaves.

If it's a small plane, have you checked to be sure there will be enough room for her carrier under the seat?

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Super Contributor

On 9/12/2014 adelle38 said:

If it's a small plane, have you checked to be sure there will be enough room for her carrier under the seat?

Hi Adelle, yes...I had to talk to about four different people at United to finally confirm that there is room for a carrier...albeit, a tight squeeze. It's amazing how little people at United know about pets in-cabin. Thanks for mentioning though. It would be dreadful to get to the airport and find out I could not take her on!

Trusted Contributor

On 9/13/2014 Madisson said:
On 9/12/2014 adelle38 said:

Hi Adelle, yes...I had to talk to about four different people at United to finally confirm that there is another room for a carrier...albeit, a tight squeeze. It's amazing how little people at United know about pets in-cabin. Thanks for mentioning though. It would be dreadful to get to the airport and find out I could not take her on!

Glad to hear it. It would be terrible to have to "valet check" a kitty. I hope you all have a great trip.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.