Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Make an Early-Morning Trip to the Grocery Store?

@deepwaterdotter  Yes, I did and have made a couple of major shopping trips preparing so I wouldn't have to do a last minute drive by.  I had vegan pies and they were eaten before this morning!  I called Whole Foods....they have such good customer service.  They saved me a vegan pumpkin pie until I could get over there.  They were out by the time I arrived, so appreciative they saved one for me.  But, unfortunately, I picked up a few more goodies.  I saw a vegan berry crisp pie, added another SO coconut ice cream to the cart, and added yellow beets so I could make my favorite beet salad.  We ended up having golden mushroom gravy, tradition stuffing with pineapple and walnuts, green salad drizzled with vegan blue cheese dressing, asparagus,  a lentil/mushroom roast with a maple glaze, golden beet salad, mashed yukon golds and, of course cranberry sauce.  There was a choice of three pies, coconut whipped cream, and two flavors of coconut ice creams.   It was so much fun making everything, but tomorrow I'm right back to simplicity while others will continue to feast on leftovers.  Every year I think I'm prepared and there is always that one little item!  Christmas coming up next!

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt

My friends tell me the same thing about their husbands and mine is no different.  Could it be they do this in order that we will not send them again.  As you have suggested, this is the reason you prefer not sending yours.  Same here.  It might be a plan they have that we do not know about.

Respected Contributor

I made a run this morning at 8:30 for poultry seasoning I needed for my dressing.  I only looked at three stores and finally gave up.  The manager at one of the groceries told me she couldn't find sage or poultry seasoning anywhere in our area.  I made dressing without it.

Honored Contributor

The grocery stores aren't open on Thanksgiving Day here.  I always find it so odd that today is just a regular day in some parts of the country.  I did wish that a grocery store or convenience store was open today.  I make my mashed potatoes with coffee creamer and I didn't have any and there was no milk in the fridge and no butter.  No stores open, no convenience stores open.  Hubby drove a distance before he finally found a gas station that had a small convenience store and he got some milk and some margarine.   Every year something falls through the cracks but it's generally something we can do without.  I couldn't do without milk and butter though.

Respected Contributor

tansy, not mine, he calls me about 4-5 times while he's out. He called me and told me they don't sell whipped cream in a can. He since has learned  to not trust the kids at the store for help. I'd rather go, it appears to stressful for him, which makes for a bad holiday. I am just afraid what Iwill be eating if I ever get so sick that he will need to take care of me , he keeps talking about just having Campbells Bean Soup and peanutbutter toast, and I don't think he is joking. 

Respected Contributor

NameAlreadyTake, I used to think that , but now It's rattle brain, they think in waffles, and we 've got the whole pictures. But mine is getting better I only send mine for only 1-2 things and he does pretty well.

Honored Contributor

I did the majority of my food prep on Wednesday.  Fortunately, for me, DH was off that day.  I ended up deciding to do a little something different with the brine for our turkey and needed a couple of things from the store.  With DH home, he went for me and that was a big help besides everything else he pitched in with, to get ready for our company.