Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,868
Registered: ‎07-11-2010

Re: Anyone Else Here Remember the Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Md.?


@patbz wrote:

Anybody remember Giffords? I understand that many cried the day the original location in Silver Spring closed.  I loved their Swiss Chocolate ice cream.


@patbz  Oh yes, lovely memories of Sunday afternoon at Giffords in Bethesda with my parents for their amazing chocolate soda.  The best part was watching my dad watch me with that soda.  Then we would pick a quart of a different flavor each visit to take home. Painful to see Giffords gone!

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,495
Registered: ‎05-19-2012

Re: Anyone Else Here Remember the Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Md.?

[ Edited ]

Shelbelle, here is a 1985 "update" on your favorite, the Crazy Horse.  Thought you might enjoy the memories.  I enjoyed the references to "Proud Mary" and "Knock on Wood."   

 

Earlier, there was nothing like "Louie Louie."  Animal House hit the nail on the head when they selected that as a partying anthem.

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-8_GI4d2c

 

 

Night Life

 
 
By Tim Warren
May 10, 1985
 

THE CRAZY HORSE has gone upscale? Thankfully, not really. A few changes have been made by management to weed out the rowdies and defuse antagonism in the surrounding Georgetown area, but it's basically the same beer-and-boogie bar that opened its doors on M Street almost 20 years ago. The Crazy Horse still fits one man's definition of a good rock'n'roll club: a place in which most of the patrons have never opened an IRA.

 

Top-40 clubs have come and gone in Georgetown. In the late '60s, they dotted M Street and Wisconsin Avenue, and bar bands filled the night with one more version of "Proud Mary" and "Knock on Wood." Hordes of college students and high school kids filled such places as the Keg and the French Quarter. Ultimately, however, the clubs dropped from sight, victims of different trends in music and patrons' boredom.

 

But even with the challenges of disco and punk and new wave and video clubs, there's still a Crazy Horse after all these years, although now it's called J&B's Crazy Horse. Top-40 groups continue to put on the hits of the day, and lines of patrons continue to form sulkily outside on weekend nights.

 

Picture

 

 

 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,868
Registered: ‎07-11-2010

Re: Anyone Else Here Remember the Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Md.?


@skatting44 wrote:

@catotto 

Normandie Farm Restaurant  on Falls Rd in Potomac, Md

. Eleanor Roosevelt would go there for the popovers.


@skatting44   Normandie Farms is a nice place...there are many small intimate dinner seminars there.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,203
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Anyone Else Here Remember the Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Md.?

What lovely memories from all of your posts! I grew up in Bethesda...then after I got married we lived in Potomac...but for the last 10 years, we have been in the Philly suburbs.

 

I remember many trips to Peter Pan...loved the hush puppies (corn fritters)! The fried chicken, ham, and shrimp were scrumptious too! Their decor and setting were unforgettable! And Gifford's Ice Cream was always a treat...such a hard decision deciding which flavor to get! I do remember sometimes splurging and getting a big banana split which I could never finish! The Hot Shoppes in downtown Bethesda was fun...and we also went to one at Congressional Plaza on the Rockville Pike. Loved their Mighty Mo's! They also had a cafeteria at Montgomery Mall.  Also loved Normandie Farm on Falls Road. And Montogomery Mall at one point had Garfinckel's, Woodies, Hecht's, and Raleigh's. Some other favorite restaurants were O'Donnell's and Bish Thompson's in Bethesda. And I know they were a chain and in some other cities, but Hamburger Hamlet on Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda was another great place. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! 

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,868
Registered: ‎07-11-2010

Re: Anyone Else Here Remember the Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Md.?

[ Edited ]

@yellowBeetle wrote:

What lovely memories from all of your posts! I grew up in Bethesda...then after I got married we lived in Potomac...but for the last 10 years, we have been in the Philly suburbs.

 

I remember many trips to Peter Pan...loved the hush puppies (corn fritters)! The fried chicken, ham, and shrimp were scrumptious too! Their decor and setting were unforgettable! And Gifford's Ice Cream was always a treat...such a hard decision deciding which flavor to get! I do remember sometimes splurging and getting a big banana split which I could never finish! The Hot Shoppes in downtown Bethesda was fun...and we also went to one at Congressional Plaza on the Rockville Pike. Loved their Mighty Mo's! They also had a cafeteria at Montgomery Mall.  Also loved Normandie Farm on Falls Road. And Montogomery Mall at one point had Garfinckel's, Woodies, Hecht's, and Raleigh's. Some other favorite restaurants were O'Donnell's and Bish Thompson's in Bethesda. And I know they were a chain and in some other cities, but Hamburger Hamlet on Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda was another great place. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! 


@yellowBeetle I grew up in Bethesda, all the landmarks you mention were on my have been to list. I lived right up Old Georgetown Road from Wildwood Center. Hamburger Hamlet was across the street from Wildwood...a favorite and the best hamburgers ever. And of course WJ is behind the Giant...when I went to WJ, it was a new school, only Wildwood Center existed; WJ was built on a portion of sold farm/pasture land and periodically the school had visits from cattle. Montgomery Mall did not exist when I attended WJ. When I married, moved to Kensington area backed up to Rock Creek Park.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,203
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Anyone Else Here Remember the Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Md.?


@ScarletDove wrote:

@yellowBeetle wrote:

What lovely memories from all of your posts! I grew up in Bethesda...then after I got married we lived in Potomac...but for the last 10 years, we have been in the Philly suburbs.

 

I remember many trips to Peter Pan...loved the hush puppies (corn fritters)! The fried chicken, ham, and shrimp were scrumptious too! Their decor and setting were unforgettable! And Gifford's Ice Cream was always a treat...such a hard decision deciding which flavor to get! I do remember sometimes splurging and getting a big banana split which I could never finish! The Hot Shoppes in downtown Bethesda was fun...and we also went to one at Congressional Plaza on the Rockville Pike. Loved their Mighty Mo's! They also had a cafeteria at Montgomery Mall.  Also loved Normandie Farm on Falls Road. And Montogomery Mall at one point had Garfinckel's, Woodies, Hecht's, and Raleigh's. Some other favorite restaurants were O'Donnell's and Bish Thompson's in Bethesda. And I know they were a chain and in some other cities, but Hamburger Hamlet on Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda was another great place. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! 


@yellowBeetle I grew up in Bethesda, all the landmarks you mention were on my have been to list. I lived right up Old Georgetown Road from Wildwood Center. Hamburger Hamlet was across the street from Wildwood...a favorite and the best hamburgers ever. And of course WJ is behind the Giant...when I went to WJ, it was a new school, only Wildwood Center existed; WJ was built on a portion of sold farm/pasture land and periodically the school had visits from cattle. Montgomery Mall did not exist when I attended WJ. When I married, moved to Kensington area backed up to Rock Creek Park.


@ScarletDove 

 

Oh my, what a small world! I went to WJ too! Montgomery Mall was built while I was in high school. And I also lived off of Old Georgetown Road! And one of my closest friends lived in Kensington! Nice to meet you!!!

Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,868
Registered: ‎07-11-2010

Re: Anyone Else Here Remember the Peter Pan Inn in Urbana, Md.?


@yellowBeetle wrote:

@ScarletDove wrote:

@yellowBeetle wrote:

What lovely memories from all of your posts! I grew up in Bethesda...then after I got married we lived in Potomac...but for the last 10 years, we have been in the Philly suburbs.

 

I remember many trips to Peter Pan...loved the hush puppies (corn fritters)! The fried chicken, ham, and shrimp were scrumptious too! Their decor and setting were unforgettable! And Gifford's Ice Cream was always a treat...such a hard decision deciding which flavor to get! I do remember sometimes splurging and getting a big banana split which I could never finish! The Hot Shoppes in downtown Bethesda was fun...and we also went to one at Congressional Plaza on the Rockville Pike. Loved their Mighty Mo's! They also had a cafeteria at Montgomery Mall.  Also loved Normandie Farm on Falls Road. And Montogomery Mall at one point had Garfinckel's, Woodies, Hecht's, and Raleigh's. Some other favorite restaurants were O'Donnell's and Bish Thompson's in Bethesda. And I know they were a chain and in some other cities, but Hamburger Hamlet on Old Georgetown Road in Bethesda was another great place. Thanks for the trip down memory lane! 


@yellowBeetle I grew up in Bethesda, all the landmarks you mention were on my have been to list. I lived right up Old Georgetown Road from Wildwood Center. Hamburger Hamlet was across the street from Wildwood...a favorite and the best hamburgers ever. And of course WJ is behind the Giant...when I went to WJ, it was a new school, only Wildwood Center existed; WJ was built on a portion of sold farm/pasture land and periodically the school had visits from cattle. Montgomery Mall did not exist when I attended WJ. When I married, moved to Kensington area backed up to Rock Creek Park.


@ScarletDove 

 

Oh my, what a small world! I went to WJ too! Montgomery Mall was built while I was in high school. And I also lived off of Old Georgetown Road! And one of my closest friends lived in Kensington! Nice to meet you!!!


@yellowBeetle  Indeed, it is quite a small world and nice to meet you!