Valued Contributor

Re: Anybody watching Met Gala red carpet

I saw a lot of the fashions on Instagram.

Sarah Jessica Parker's was unbelievable.  I don't know how she even walked in her outfit.

Esteemed Contributor

I just took a look at the gowns and all I can think of is Marie Antoinette, and all that was going on around her when she said “Let them eat cake.” I think that’s what another post referred to by the word irony.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

i did not watch - but seeing press coverage, i must say that i find the use of religious symbols in this way beyond sensitive and respectful - and absolutely tasteless, at best. 

@ms traditional

Better talk to the Pope.

Not only did he lend 40 pieces for the Museum, 

but also signed off making it the focus of this year’s event.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

i did not watch - but seeing press coverage, i must say that i find the use of religious symbols in this way beyond sensitive and respectful - and absolutely tasteless, at best. 

@ms traditional

Better talk to the Pope.

hmmm........i.don't think the Pope had some of these get-ups in mind.  but it is New York and in the orbit of the narcissistic and outrageous world of celebs, isn't it -  so not surprised.  just had to comment.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@ms traditional

Better talk to the Pope.

Yes, the Pope lent them pieces and that's in addition to the huge and iconic permanent collection of Italian Renaissance and other relevant art in the Met's permanent collection.  

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:
Nope, "celebrities" dressing up for yet another self congratulatory event holds zero appeal for me. My parents, like most of us, had their good qualities and their not so good qualities. The best of them was teaching their brood to be generous to the charities we strongly believe in - and to donate quietly; to volunteer our time to causes we believe in - and do it quietly; and to be informed citizens, vote and serve our country when asked.

Celebs spouting off and dressing up doesn't cut it for me. Why not just write the check quietly without all of the over the top fanfare? "Look at me, look at me" in my book isn't charitable.

Sorry if I've rained on anyone's parade, but I find these people stomach churning.

@Its Me LuLuBelle2it is neither a "self-congratulatory event" nor a chance for celebrities to "spout off."  

It is a benefit Anna Wintour Costume Center at the Met which has over 30,000 pieces of historical fashion/art going back to the 1700s.  That may not be your flavor but millions have visited from all over the world and love it.

Here on Wikipedia is a list of exhibitions which are wide-ranging and international iln scope.  Take a minute to scan it and you'll see the value of the collections to those who care about the history of art and/or fashion:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anna_Wintour_Costume_Center

Respected Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@ms traditional

Better talk to the Pope.

Yes, the Pope lent them pieces and that's in addition to the huge and iconic permanent collection of Italian Renaissance and other relevant art in the Met's permanent collection.  

@sidsmom@LoriLori it's more than a stretch to make a connection between the Pope and what was on display last night.  those designing, those wearing - they made choices based on the theme of the Gala., not the Pope. the Vatican chose what to loan to the Met. 

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@ms traditional

Better talk to the Pope.

@sidsmom@LoriLori it's more than a stretch to make a connection between the Pope and what was on display last night.  those designing, those wearing - they made choices based on the theme of the Gala., not the Pope. the Vatican chose what to loan to the Met. 

The Met Gala has been a designers showcase for many years.

This is not the first time the crest of a bosom has been on display

at a fund-raising event frequented by celebrities.  

It’s not a secret.

So knowing that....why would the Vatican want to be connected

to such ‘debauchery’ and ‘evil doings’?   Fact is, they DO know what

was going to happen...and the Pope & Vatician are cool with it.

It’s a New Day.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@ms traditional

Better talk to the Pope.

@ms traditional, do you know anything about art?  Have you ever been to the Met and seen their Italian Rennaisance collection?  The church and the art world have been hand in hand since Leonardo and Michelangelo. 

Most of the world's greatest masterpieces of painting and sculpture and architecture were created for the Catholic religion -- do you think the Pope doesn't know that?   He lives among them, he sees the best of the best and knows the troves in museums like the Met.

So it's not surprising he would lend them some of these artworks.

And not only is he modern but he's smart and recognizes that fashion -- which at its highest is another, legitimate art form --  is a way to get the attention of young people, who have been leaving the Church in droves.

This is a win/win/win.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@LoriLori wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

@ms traditional

Better talk to the Pope.

The Met Gala has been a designers showcase for many years.

This is not the first time the crest of a bosom has been on display

at a fund-raising event frequented by celebrities.  

It’s not a secret.

So knowing that....why would the Vatican want to be connected

to such ‘debauchery’ and ‘evil doings’?   Fact is, they DO know what

was going to happen...and the Pope & Vatician are cool with it.

It’s a New Day.

perhaps the Vatician (sic)  is cool with it !!