[ Edited ]

@Jamma@gidgetgh@CLEM@Marp@Suziepeach

@Marp

Thank you for the update!

I am enjoying 

everybody's comments!

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Come on baby - we are all waiting for you!

Honored Contributor

I know I've said this before, but I think tonight is the night. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

3/16. EVENING UPDATE

Keeper report is increased swelling in the backend and significant baby kicks from within. Vet reports all is well and no reason for concern. April is posturing quite a bit which is keeping us on our toes! We will see what the weekend brings.

Today was spent digging paths for keepers to access exhibits, for animals to access watering stations and more yard space, and clearing roadways for fuel deliveries etc.

We have to thank the handful of individuals that assisted in this process. Thank you for making our animals lives better, and keeper work -a touch easier under the conditions.

Tomorrow I encourage you to offer a random act of kindness. Pay it forward as they say! I know I am.

Here are a few shots from the park and what Stella left behind.

Good night world.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

IMG_6750.JPG

Respected Contributor

It's so funny how grown people can be glued to the computer screen and watch a giraffe we have never met, but we think she is part of our family, day in and day out.

Esteemed Contributor

3/17. Evening Update

"Nose in the air, don't care"

This shot was actually taken mid "April Hay-Showers". This is a commonly observed behavior as April empties their enrichment feeder and rains perfectly good hay down her back side. Photo is a week or so old.

Allysa reports the calf has mastered karate! She has never felt or seen more activity within. April is also eating everything in sight.
Likely no St. Patrick's calf; but she is prepping for something!

Enjoy your weekend; I would suggest watching - as we just don't know what is next!

If you must pull away - rest assured - we will have the birth documented and released for viewing soon after.

Good night world! Good night April!

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17352127_932420940194119_6849700700602194526_n.jpg?oh=4d6323aeaef842a3a7b293c227f78a71&oe=592695BA

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody watching April

[ Edited ]

My observations in regard to the previous post:

Based on Allysa's evening findings April could go into labor at any time. 

When Autumn, the Greenville Zoo (SC) had her first she went into labor around midnight.  I do not recall what time Autumn's second calf, a stillborn, was delivered, I think it was somewhere around 3:30 a.m.,  but her last calf was born about 6:15 in the morning.

Esteemed Contributor

3/18. Morning Update

Keepers report continued giraffe calf cartwheels inside mom's belly! Appetite is strong, but notice minimal "hay showers" this morning. Perhaps her mind is elsewhere.

Belly has noticeably dropped further, keepers report almost a ...get ready for it... egg shape to her now.

Any of you watching this early morning witnessed some beautiful moments between mom and her belly. As it shows in photo, April napped with her extended back head onto her belly.

Giraffe Factoid:
Giraffes have long thought to have been silent; however it was recently proven giraffes will hum to one another, outside of human hearing capacity range. Is April "talking" to her baby?

Image may contain: text

Honored Contributor

Ok, so this will sound ridiculous, but I think, at this point, those following April will understand. 

I'm leaving our house at 10:15 (Eastern) for a brief shopping stop and early movie with my sister and two friends. I won't be home till 3:00. No access to my phone or iPad obviously cause we'll be shopping and at the movie.

I'm looking forward to going but I also don't want to go.  How ridiculous is that??!!

I've invested so much time watching April that, while I know I can see the birth on a replay, I don't want to miss the live event. 

Go ahead, make fun of me now.