Valued Contributor

Anybody vacation at Lake Havasu?

I'm looking for comments about spending a month at Lake Havasu, AZ next winter. Any recommendations on how to do it? Condo on water, house in town, etc.? Never been there, but hear that it's nice. We do not golf, so being near a course is not important. We would prefer being near the water. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody vacation at Lake Havasu?

I have not but, I do live in Az. part time. Also, two of my friends were there recently and they absolutely loved it. I cannot give you any tips except to say, avoid spring break season as many college kids inundate the place and it's a logistical nightmare.

Good luck and I'll be anxious to read the responses.

Respected Contributor

I just drove by it the other day and told DH we needed to see London Bridge. I hope you get answers, I want to know more too.
Respected Contributor

My desert home is about a half hour from there. I would suggest avoiding spring break also, it is flooded with kids in boats cruising around Partying ,drinking, loud music and many girls with bikini bottoms and no tops , just pasties. The area has struggled economically .....it's kind of sad. The newest shopping area with theater,Dillard's, Walmart,Kirklands, Penny's and a few smaller stores, (some have have moved out) has many empty spaces . Where there used to be shops along the waterfront, businesses have closed down and there are plans to build condos. I don't have a boat, but of course the lake is the big attraction. You'll probably enjoy it if you plan to be out on the lake. It's a shame that The London bridge hasn't been maintained and is falling apart., and they are talking about tearing it down.): the surrounding areas are struggling also, and there is a big problem with meth. I'm worried about the future for the area, and am putting my desert house on the market.
Valued Contributor

On 1/17/2015 Azcowgirl said: My desert home is about a half hour from there. I would suggest avoiding spring break also, it is flooded with kids in boats cruising around Partying ,drinking, loud music and many girls with bikini bottoms and no tops , just pasties. The area has struggled economically .....it's kind of sad. The newest shopping area with theater,Dillard's, Walmart,Kirklands, Penny's and a few smaller stores, (some have have moved out) has many empty spaces . Where there used to be shops along the waterfront, businesses have closed down and there are plans to build condos. I don't have a boat, but of course the lake is the big attraction. You'll probably enjoy it if you plan to be out on the lake. It's a shame that The London bridge hasn't been maintained and is falling apart., and they are talking about tearing it down.): the surrounding areas are struggling also, and there is a big problem with meth. I'm worried about the future for the area, and am putting my desert house on the market.

This might be all that I need to hear. I would probably be there in March, so spring breakers would abound! Perhaps I will look for another spot. Thanks for your comments!

Honored Contributor

Vicki Gunvalson does. (from what I recall).

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

http://terryaley.com/?p=4610

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

On 1/17/2015 Marybella said:
On 1/17/2015 Azcowgirl said: My desert home is about a half hour from there. I would suggest avoiding spring break also, it is flooded with kids in boats cruising around Partying ,drinking, loud music and many girls with bikini bottoms and no tops , just pasties. The area has struggled economically .....it's kind of sad. The newest shopping area with theater,Dillard's, Walmart,Kirklands, Penny's and a few smaller stores, (some have have moved out) has many empty spaces . Where there used to be shops along the waterfront, businesses have closed down and there are plans to build condos. I don't have a boat, but of course the lake is the big attraction. You'll probably enjoy it if you plan to be out on the lake. It's a shame that The London bridge hasn't been maintained and is falling apart., and they are talking about tearing it down.): the surrounding areas are struggling also, and there is a big problem with meth. I'm worried about the future for the area, and am putting my desert house on the market.

This might be all that I need to hear. I would probably be there in March, so spring breakers would abound! Perhaps I will look for another spot. Thanks for your comments!

Do not go there in March/April.

Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

Honestly, and I hope I do not offend anyone, but there is nothing pretty about Lake Havasu. You wouldn't want to go after January because of the drunken spring breakers.