Esteemed Contributor

My grands are now living with us.  Their Dad is a single parent who is still working a couple days a week. The problem is that their school district is giving them four hours of homework per day (they are 7 and 9 so they need supervision).  I'm pretty sure that they don't get that much instruction daily at "real" school (what with crafts, music, recess).  How does a single parent who works do this!  With two kids, two grades apart, how does this get done?  I'm here all day and I'll help when I can but th is ridiculous. My older grand is a little behind in school so he can't help.his brother.  I have bought grade appropriate work books etc but we want them to have opportunity to learn.  In my opinion at their ages they should be assigned two hours a day.  What about single parent families with 3, 4, 5 kids.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody now home schooling?

@patbz Blessings to you. That does seem like a lot of work for younger ones. I'm sure you feel as if you're all in school. My son lives nearby and is also a single dad. It takes a village, doesn't it? Peace to your household. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Ive also wondered how parents manage this.  I was talking to my sister whose daughter is a middle school teacher.  She said she's not getting a lot of cooperation from her kids.  Spends a lot of time tracking them down to find why they haven't done their work.  Then she has to see that her own 10 year old does his... he has a set schedule and she makes sure he sticks to it.

I have a feeling most kids won't get a lot out of this experience.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@patbz  My daughter is overseeing her 10 and 13 year olds in their school work. It is coming from the school, so there is organization, but there are so many teachers and styles of teaching! It takes all morning and some of the afternoon. She has my older grandson do his piano and drum practice while she helps the 10 year old. It has finally come together, and she said everything is working. My 13 year old grandson will be entering high school in the fall and hopes to qualify for AP courses. Don't know how that's going to work out. She can't imagine how families are doing it who have working or single parents. God bless all those parents and grandparents on the front line!

Respected Contributor

My DD is a senior in high school and was just scraping by before school closed.  She had ADHD so I have been closely monitoring her participation in on line classes and making sure she gets her assingments done each day.  It's been a struggle becasue I am also working from home full time but I actually think it will be to her benefit because she has a much better chance of graduating by having me so involved.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My niece and nephew are 15 and 17. Their days are filled with school work and they love it. They get up every morning, get dress and act as if they are in school. Those who are ahead now get Fridays off so they are happy about that.  I told my sister that her kids are strange.

Every year she pays about 600 per child for a month of summer school which is in June so that they can get ahead. Strange.

They have already visited the Colleges they want to attend.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don´t know how to Post this but has anyone seen this?

Go to youtube and look up Kounty Wayne calling Teacher Ms Johnson. That´s so funny. There are other versons but I love his.

Certain things he´s saying, I don´t understand but it´s still funny.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz wrote:

My grands are now living with us.  Their Dad is a single parent who is still working a couple days a week. The problem is that their school district is giving them four hours of homework per day (they are 7 and 9 so they need supervision).  I'm pretty sure that they don't get that much instruction daily at "real" school (what with crafts, music, recess).  How does a single parent who works do this!  With two kids, two grades apart, how does this get done?  I'm here all day and I'll help when I can but th is ridiculous. My older grand is a little behind in school so he can't help.his brother.  I have bought grade appropriate work books etc but we want them to have opportunity to learn.  In my opinion at their ages they should be assigned two hours a day.  What about single parent families with 3, 4, 5 kids.

@patbz 

I really do sympathize with you having to handle home schooling as a grandparent.  Your grandsons are blessed to have you in their lives.  But I have to take issue with the idea that they don't get in four hours of instruction at their "real school."  Recess nowadays isn't usually as long as it was when we went to school, and it's highly unlikely your grandkids are having music and "crafts" every day.  I think you'd be surprised if you were to sit in on an average school day at a "real" school just how much instruction goes on.  If anything good does come out of this horrible CV situation, it may just be that families have more appreciation for what teachers accomplish every day.  Meanwhile, God bless all parents and grandparents who have to become instant teachers.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Regular Contributor

I am home schooling my 10 year old grandson and supervising his 13 year old sister.  We had option of paper packet in lieu of computer, so he is doing paper and she is on computer.

The computer learning is so so at best.  This morning she spent 45 minutes texting with a teacher trying to get her into the classes on line.  Lots of glitches in system.  It is hard for her as she is frustrated by the time she finally gets on line. 

With my grandson, he and I work through a subject, take a 10 minute break then he picks what's next.  It takes us about 3 hours of study time each day.  Some days are better than others, but overall I would say it has been positive.

Teachers for both do call to see how things are going which is good.

This will be a time they will never forget.  They will tell their children and grands about living through the pandemic.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags :  You make some good points but the nut of the issue is that 4 hrs of one on one is much more attention/ focus then the equivalent time in any classroom.