Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody now home schooling?

@Still Raining wrote:

DD had too few laptops and too many kids, so I sent over one more laptop yesterday.

Odds are good that the grand kids will never again talk to me.  Sure would like to have them over again ? anyway.

That is so nice that you were able to share a laptop @Still Raining.  That's one reason why we've been told to have no more than 2 hours of activities per day for our students.  We had Chromebooks in the classrooms, but students did not take them home with them, so many are sharing a family device.  When mine were that age, we just had one family laptop, so I can't imagine how difficult this eLearning is for families with multiple children.

I pray that you are able to be reunited with the grandkids soon.  ❤️

Esteemed Contributor

SC Education recommendation.png

Thought I'd share this chart that was released today from the South Carolina Department of Education.  This is their recommended length of time per day for distance learning assignments.

Super Contributor

If you split several subjects up then it may add up to 4 hours.  You could have them do 2 hours in the morning, have lunch and play break, and then do 2 hours in the afternoon.  Our school is stressing to complete Reading and Math instruction, but Social Studies and Science work is still offered and is more flexible.  I would be flexible and have breaks in between.  

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@patbz wrote:

My grands are now living with us.  Their Dad is a single parent who is still working a couple days a week. The problem is that their school district is giving them four hours of homework per day (they are 7 and 9 so they need supervision).  I'm pretty sure that they don't get that much instruction daily at "real" school (what with crafts, music, recess).  How does a single parent who works do this!  With two kids, two grades apart, how does this get done?  I'm here all day and I'll help when I can but th is ridiculous. My older grand is a little behind in school so he can't help.his brother.  I have bought grade appropriate work books etc but we want them to have opportunity to learn.  In my opinion at their ages they should be assigned two hours a day.  What about single parent families with 3, 4, 5 kids.

@patbz 

I really do sympathize with you having to handle home schooling as a grandparent.  Your grandsons are blessed to have you in their lives.  But I have to take issue with the idea that they don't get in four hours of instruction at their "real school."  Recess nowadays isn't usually as long as it was when we went to school, and it's highly unlikely your grandkids are having music and "crafts" every day.  I think you'd be surprised if you were to sit in on an average school day at a "real" school just how much instruction goes on.  If anything good does come out of this horrible CV situation, it may just be that families have more appreciation for what teachers accomplish every day.  Meanwhile, God bless all parents and grandparents who have to become instant teachers.

@shoesnbags, I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, the people on this board who bash teachers don't know and don't want to know.