Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody now home schooling?

[ Edited ]

@FLtricia  that´s great. Make sure they take breaks and don´t forget Lunch Break lol.

If the children don´t turn in their homework, the teachers get in touch with the parents. 

When my niece checks her 10 year old son´s work on the computer, he tell her he doesn´t know who erased it, so of course she makes him do it right there and then.

Esteemed Contributor

@patbz  when your grandkids go back to school, check their work (I´m sure you do) and you would be surprised at how much they learned staying with you. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoesnbags  you are correct. My husband volunteered for years after he retired at an Elementary school. He said he learned a lot and this was a College Graduate. He was surprised at the work the kids were given.

My 15 year old nephew receive a Presidential Award in Elementary School, one in Middle School and expects one in High School. Elememtary School did him good.

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @patbz and all others who are homeschooling now 😊 I think you are awesome!  ❤️

I'm surprised to see so much work for the little ones.  I teach middle school, and we were told that our students should have no more than 2 hours of assignments per day.  The elementary students are supposed to have less than that.  Originally, there was an expectation that all teachers (like art and PE) would post activities as well, but they changed that after the first week to have 20-30 minutes of math, science, language arts, and social studies each day.

I heard through the grapevine (don't know for sure if it's true) that some districts have given packets but consider them "enrichment" and not to be included in the students' grades.  At our school, we're balancing some assignments completed for accuracy and some get 100 just for turning something in (participation grade).

As an educator, I appreciate families like you who are pitching in to help.  I'm thinking about our students day and night.  Each day I post that I'm here to answer questions if they need me.  Other teachers have set hours, but I answer all day and night if I'm awake.  I've had students message me at 2:00 a.m. and turn in work at 4:00 a.m.  I realize that I can't really set normal school hours because some are still in bed in the morning, and they are doing fun stuff during the day, so they're just getting around to school stuff around 7:00 p.m.  Some have parents who are essential workers, so they are taking care of younger siblings during the day.  

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan  here in Georgia, the teachers at one of the High Schools  decided to give the students a day off. Fridays are now designated as ask ¨The Teacher´s Day¨. The students are happy because of all the work they were given.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan  don´t know how you do it. Did you always want to be a Teacher? Some people were born with it lol and you certainly are.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@wildcat fan  here in Georgia, the teachers at one of the High Schools  decided to give the students a day off. Fridays are now designated as ask ¨The Teacher´s Day¨. The students are happy because of all the work they were given.

That sounds like a good plan @Sage04 .  I'm doing Virtual Field Trip Fridays.  We've also been listening to podcasts and doing digital escape rooms, so I'm trying to change it up a bit to keep their interest.  I do live chats once or twice a week for them to ask me questions, but they're also able to send me emails outside of that time.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@wildcat fan  don´t know how you do it. Did you always want to be a Teacher? Some people were born with it lol and you certainly are.

Thank you for the morale booster @Sage04 😊 Working in these unchartered waters has made me question a few things, so I needed to hear that.  ❤️I have it in my blood with grandmothers who were teachers.  I used to "play school" with my dolls when I was little.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan  I knew it lol

Make your grandmothers  proud.

Esteemed Contributor

DD had too few laptops and too many kids, so I sent over one more laptop yesterday.

Odds are good that the grand kids will never again talk to me.  Sure would like to have them over again 😪 anyway.