Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody here ever use 1-800-Got-Junk?

@tl98466 ....They actually did that?  Oh my goodness.   I hate places like that.  Seems dishonest.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I have used them and have also hired local haulers as well as Junk King.  Everyone provided a good service, but the best prices were offered by Junk King. 

Honored Contributor

And when you’d point, @chrystaltree, they mentally would see dollars bills, lol.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

I called them and a couple other places and none will give me any idea of a price.  I need to empty out my father’s house since he can no longer live there at age 92.  It’s a two bedroom house with a basement...he was almost a hoarder.  You name it, it’s in his house.

The other problem is that his house is about 50 miles  from me so I don’t want to have to go over there for a free estimate only to find out the price is extreme and I’d have to find another company and do it all over again.  TIA.

I used a company, a think it was them. I just needed a stack of metal hurricane panels picked up from a patio. It was pricey. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Wow!  @Trinity11, it sounds like, as you and someone else said....they’ve gone up a lot.  Unless it was a humongous bedroom full of furniture and a chair, $400 was too much.

Yes @Mmsfoxxie , they went up a lot. The bedroom set was queen sized and the chair was small. When I mentioned that I followed a suggestion from Angie’s list they usually give a discount but not this time. They sent us a coupon for 15% off a month later if we ever needed their services again.

@Trinity11 

Amgies list sent me a bill for only reading their web page!!!............NEVER AGAIN!!!

This happened to many other people i know,not just me!

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Wow!  @Trinity11, it sounds like, as you and someone else said....they’ve gone up a lot.  Unless it was a humongous bedroom full of furniture and a chair, $400 was too much.

Yes @Mmsfoxxie , they went up a lot. The bedroom set was queen sized and the chair was small. When I mentioned that I followed a suggestion from Angie’s list they usually give a discount but not this time. They sent us a coupon for 15% off a month later if we ever needed their services again.

@Trinity11 

Amgies list sent me a bill for only reading their web page!!!............NEVER AGAIN!!!

This happened to many other people i know,not just me!

They no longer charge a fee to join @MalteseMomma . Years ago they did...

Valued Contributor

Have you thought about calling the "Pickers" or whatever their name is. It's the two guys on TV that go around looking for stuff. A lot of the stuff I've seen them buy looked like junk to me. Some junk may be picker's treasure.

Respected Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie How the heck do you expect them to give you an estimate without actually seeing what the job will entail?  Do you have any brothers or sisters?  Are there any grandchildren who can help share the burden of showing the place?  You might have to get a couple of esrtimates if you want to compare prices.

I've never used any of the junk removal companies.  If you want to see if there are complaints, get in touch with the consumer protection agency (NOT the BBB) in the area and check there.  That's what I'd do before signing any contract or other legal document engaging their services.

Respected Contributor

Can you go over and email photos to the companies?

Honored Contributor

I was talking to my uncle, my father’s brother and he suggested that I let him go to a couple of thrift stores he’s familiar with that are not too far from the property and let them have a free for all.  Probably won’t be much left after that.