Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody here ever use 1-800-Got-Junk?

@MalteseMomma wrote:

Im so glad for this thread. I wanted to call them to clean out my QVC excess clothing shopping.....lol

I mentioned it to my son......lol who said," NO WAY!!!!"  ......lol

"Let me think about it for a while.We are gonna donate or sell it all"...he said.....lol

I have years and yrs  of QVC stuff ,unopened in boxes in my basement and a whole room full of great clothing , never worn (i'm one of those save for something special people)  not good   Smiley Sad    wear your stuff!!!

I tell my DDs and adult grands to go look and take what they want ,but they never do........sigh.

Great stuff!!! of course my son is correct.........lol

@MalteseMomma 

In the case of good excess womens clothing, maybe consider the battered women's shelter or a 'Dressed for Success' program in your area.

Many times these women flee their homes in the dead of night, with only their children and the clothes on their back.

I personally find it very rewarding to donate to these types of charities.

It's like giving a 'hand up', rather than a 'hand out'.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie, it's a lot more than I was expecting to pay, that's for sure. I paid for it from estate funds.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We used them twice ....

• We inherited a house.  Called appraiser/auctioneer to price and take anything worthwhile.
  • Then offered rest to family.
  • Thirdly - called 1-800-Got Junk.

This is going back to 2008.  They quoted us a price "by the load."  

We had them take everything but the pool table .... thinking my nephew may want it.  It was about $1000 for the load.

We called them a second time to get the pool table ... If I recall it was around $300.  

We weren't so concerned about the cost since we were putting the house up for sale and would recoup any of our expenses from the sale.

They were efficient and quick.  I'd have no problem calling them again. 

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Hahahahaha.  And who’s gonna fill that dumpster, @Leelee1123?  Not me, lol.  It’s amazing that I have three sons and none live in my area of the country. 

Well than you gotta pay $$$. Can't get something for nothing. It's a shame none of your sons offered to help. Sad.

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA, you just reminded me.....there’s a pool table there!  In the basement but I never saw it.  I remember now that my father asked if anybody wanted one.  I said no and forgot about it.  There’s a nice 60 inch tv on the wall, too.

You're right, it’s easier to spend money not coming out of your bank account.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Yes, I used them when we moved from our big house and I got an estimate.  When I called to book, they asked about what I wanted removed and the rooms involved and how many boxes and about the steps/stairs and parking for the truck.  I got an estimate but the actual job was much more than the estimate because I forgot some things.  Still. It was perfect.  Point and they take it, just like the commercial.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Leelee1123, it’s hard to offer to help their mom when they are hundreds of miles away with their own families and jobs.  In fact one of them has had his five month old daughter in the hospital for almost two weeks and they have a two year old.

I never expect my kids to take on my problems but I know they would if they could.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor

I've called them twice and used them once! They are prompt and came when I needed them; on their first visit the price was $500; I said that was way to much and they said, "let me call my manager" and they came back with a price of $300. I told them I'd pay $200 and they said, OK. The second time I guess I was just a bit cranky because they said it would be $650 (for less stuff then the first time I used them) and I responded with, "is that your best price?", they said "yup" and I said, "too much - I'm not buying a car, I don't want to negotiate, I just want your best price" - immediately they offered to do the job for $600 - still said no, sent them on their way and called a local company who charged me $115. Done with 1-800-Got-Junk.

Trusted Contributor

It sounds like you've got a big job there.  I would use a professional company.  I highly recommend 1-800-Got-Junk.  They are expensive, but worth every penny.  I hired them some months back to remove furniture from my house to make room for new.  You tell them a time and date.  And they arrived on time.  Tthe crew was very nice and professional..  That is hard work they do! 

When I decide to move and have to clean out my house -- ugh --  I'll be calling on them again.  All of my worries solved.  

Respected Contributor

@Leelee1123 wrote:

Get a dumpster

That's what we did.  The dumpster was delivered by Waste Management, our garbage service.  It think it was about $60.  We called the unemployment agency and hired some daily workers.  We saved lots of money.