Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody here ever use 1-800-Got-Junk?

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Wow!  @Trinity11, it sounds like, as you and someone else said....they’ve gone up a lot.  Unless it was a humongous bedroom full of furniture and a chair, $400 was too much.

Yes @Mmsfoxxie , they went up a lot. The bedroom set was queen sized and the chair was small. When I mentioned that I followed a suggestion from Angie’s list they usually give a discount but not this time. They sent us a coupon for 15% off a month later if we ever needed their services again.

Esteemed Contributor

Great information on get junk.  I should answer most of your questions.

https://www.moving.com/tips/everything-you-need-to-know-about-1-800-got-junk/#targetText=Pricing%20v...

I have used them and was very pleased.

Honored Contributor

@MalteseMomma , I can’t laugh at you at all.  Last year, my husband and I were cleaning the garage and found two unopened QVC boxes.  One contained a Suzie Orman financial planning kit (big bucks) and one of those mop wringer buckets with a mop.  At least three years old!  I was so embarrassed.  The financial planner was obsolete.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

”A truck full” seems so subjective!  Like, what’s the size of the truck and how do THEY pack the truck, etc.?

Esteemed Contributor

I used them about 2 years ago & they were great to work with .... they were very careful  removing the stuff from my home & I thought they were reasonable.   

They charge by the truckload so, it depends on how much “junk” you are are getting rid of & how much space it takes up on the truck... that’s why they can’t give you an estimate on the phone... they have to see it.... also, it depends on the state you live in .... I was in NJ & my sister in law used them in NY .... comparing the volume of the “junk” we got rid of we figured they are more expensive in NY.

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac, you must be Mrs. Sherlock Holmes, lol.  

I don’t know how I missed that article when I googled.  Thanks so much!  I saved it to refer to later.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

I used them twice in the last 3 years.They came over gave me an estimate.I accepted it & they removed the stuff.

Both times they gave me a very fair price .In addition the guy used a coupon code each time to save me an additional 30%.This was done after I already accepted the price.

I would definitely use them again.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie, I'm not sure of the name of the company that I used but I used one to clear out my mom's house after she died. They will NOT give an estimate over the phone, they have to see the area that they'll be clearing out because their fees are based on how many of their trucks the items being removed will fill up.

I had an estate sale first, then had the removal company come take what was left afterwards. The stuff filled up 1 1/2 of their trucks, they charged me nearly $1,300. This was in 2014. I live in one of Chicago's NW suburbs.

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie    1-800-Got-Junk was really going strong here at one time with little signs on every corner; now I never hear anything about the company.  Despite having a reputation for being expensive, we called them to empty Dad's garage when he sold the house.  The good stuff was already gone.  They were expensive, although I don't remember how they charged.  We would have done better with the local, non-franchaised junk man.  They did s neat, thorough job.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@sgraham30, that’s a lot!  I told my sister that I was gonna budget $2000 to be safe.  It’s my father’s money so it won’t really hurt.  I’ll just hope I’m not ripped off.  If it’s over $2000, I. Will. Scream! 😱