Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody here ever use 1-800-Got-Junk?

@patbz , yes, I am going over there along with a couple of sisters to go through things but trust me, it’s junk, lol.  Besides all of us involved are old...can’t do all of the heavy lifting involved.  

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

I was listening to the radio either yesterday or today (I listen daily) and a commerical for I got junk came on. the commerical said you only pay for how much you fill up the truck. so if you only fill up 1/4th of the truck that is all you pay and so forth, BUT they did not give you (in this commerical) just how much a full truck would cost. 

contact either your hometown newspaper and write a letter to editor,the editor may be able to get an answer for you or even contact local t.v. station to see if they have a help desk or news person who can give you an idea of how much this business would cost a rought guessimate is better than am unexpected bill for $1000.00 or higher.

I seriously doubt either of these would even consider giving anyone a rough guesstimate.

Honored Contributor

Good point @dawg lover .  It hadn’t occurred to me to ask for a minimum charge.  Thanks.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Valued Contributor

A friend used them and said they were very high.  I called our trash collection company and asked for local referrals when I needed to get rid of a lot of stuff.  The guy we used was great -- and much more reasonable than the chain companies.

Honored Contributor

I’ve used them three times during our basement clean out last year and was very pleased with them. Go on the website, choose a date and a time window and they show up.  Very easy. I also used them at my parent’s Condo in 2015. 

But when they get there, they take a look at what they’re picking up and give you the quote then. I really don’t know how they, or any company could give you a quote without seeing the house. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I don't know what area of the country you're in, but if you Google house and apartment cleanout, you might find the name of some companies in your area.

Good luck.  It sounds like an arduous task. 

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@patbz , yes, I am going over there along with a couple of sisters to go through things but trust me, it’s junk, lol.  Besides all of us involved are old...can’t do all of the heavy lifting involved.  

@Mmsfoxxie 

Since you and your sisters will be going there to go through things, why not schedule  estimates with several companies at staggered times while you're there?

I can understand why the companies can't give an estimate without seeing what they're dealing with.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Regular Contributor

Get a dumpster

Honored Contributor

At my parents condo I had them take a split king adjustable bed frame, mattress, box springs, bedding and pillows. It was $150, which was their minimum in 2015. 

2 bedrooms, bath, living room, kitchen and basement with an “almost hoarder”?  It’s going to be massively expensive. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

That’s a good idea, @KingstonsMom, to stagger the times.  

The hardest part will probably be get the sisters to be available on the same day.  They work during the week and one does church on Saturday, the other does church on Sunday.  We can’t go together because we’re coming from different directions, one from another city about 400 mikes away.  

Whew!  We knew this day was coming, though.