Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody Planning on Seeing ""50 Shades""?

On 1/25/2015 NC Bandwagon said:
On 1/25/2015 Alter Ego said:

I was wondering, a lot of people have said that the book is poorly written. Can someone please explain how it's poorly written?

I'm sure others can better explain it or have different opinions. To me, it was as if I wrote the book as a high school project and didn't know anything about the topic or the area in which it took place and researched it all online. It's not just the secks scenes, but the entire book is written with an utter lack of knowledge. Minor example - the author is British, I believe and had never been to Seattle (?) where the novel takes place and it therefore lacks any true references.

It wasn't originally written with the intention of being a world wide sensation, but just as online fan fiction.

I see. So it's not that it has bad grammar in it. It's more that it's too random and things don't make sense because it may have been made up. Thank you for explaining. I was wondering what people meant by poorly written.

It has terrible grammar in it, bad spelling and the same phrases are used over and over again. And some of the phrases used I've never heard used by anyone let alone over and over.

The author likes the word "clumbered" a lot.

Respected Contributor

I don't think the book is meant to be read for the grammar and spelling. I mean, nobody watches for the dialogue.Wink

Respected Contributor

it may be more successful as a movie if the grammar was poor and the writing awkward

the objections cited seem be directed toward the prose when in truth the content may be uncomfortable for some...but, erotica is not p0rn

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 RedConvertibleGirl said:

I don't think the book is meant to be read for the grammar and spelling. I mean, nobody watches for the dialogue.Wink

If you are listening to this as a book on tape, you wouldn't see the bad spelling and maybe not notice the bad grammar.

But if you are reading the book, which I was, it's very noticeable. I cannot get past poor grammar, punctuation and spelling in print. I would think a book, since the purpose is to be read, should be proofread better.

Respected Contributor

Couldn't finish the third book, so probably will watch just to see how it ends, but not at the theater.
Regular Contributor

Have you heard how young people talk or how they spell these days? Proper grammar or spelling are not their strong suits!

Super Contributor

On 1/26/2015 LipstickDiva said:

I was wondering, a lot of people have said that the book is poorly written. Can someone please explain how it's poorly written?

I'm sure others can better explain it or have different opinions. To me, it was as if I wrote the book as a high school project and didn't know anything about the topic or the area in which it took place and researched it all online. It's not just the secks scenes, but the entire book is written with an utter lack of knowledge. Minor example - the author is British, I believe and had never been to Seattle (?) where the novel takes place and it therefore lacks any true references.

It wasn't originally written with the intention of being a world wide sensation, but just as online fan fiction.

I see. So it's not that it has bad grammar in it. It's more that it's too random and things don't make sense because it may have been made up. Thank you for explaining. I was wondering what people meant by poorly written.

It has terrible grammar in it, bad spelling and the same phrases are used over and over again. And some of the phrases used I've never heard used by anyone let alone over and over.

What does clumber mean? I only know of a clumber spaniel.

Clumber Spaniel Breed Photo

Honored Contributor

I got a free sample for my Kindle from Amazon last year and have no desire to see the movie or read the entire book.

Super Contributor

I have no desire to see it. I was bored by the book and put it down after 80 pages into it. Lady Chatterly's Lover was better than 50 Shades, and even DH Lawrence could be tedious.

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 LipstickDiva said:

Do you mean CLAMBER? Did a quick search....22 times in the first book...five times in one chapter! Yeah, the book is poorly written. It's like she was typing on a keyboard w/ one hand & had a thesaurus in the other hand! Search/Replace!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic