Esteemed Contributor

Anybody I their 50s and dating via online dating sites? What do you think?

I've been trying an online dating site for about 3 months now. I've had a few nice dates, many queries, and one "relationship" that lasted 5-6 dates before I decided that it shouldn't continue. Overall, however, I've found online dating very difficult for meeting good quality men that I believe might be a good match for me. It's a little discouraging. Are any of you having better experiences with online dating? (I'm 53 years old - if you'd like to know that.)
Valued Contributor

Re: Anybody I their 50s and dating via online dating sites? What do you think?

I am 58 and dating for the first time in 36 years{#emotions_dlg.scared}!

I have never tried online dating the thought of that is intimidating to me. I do know several people who have met on line, lots of young adults meet that way now. I would ask friends and family if they knew of a good guy.

I am dating a family friend that I have known for 25 years, we both ended up being single at the same time. I do not where this is headed but for now I am having a good time with a wonderful man.

BTW I am a widow and he is divorced.

Honored Contributor

Have you tried ourtime.com?

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/30/2014 lolakimono said:

Have you tried ourtime.com?

That's the one I'm currently trying.
Super Contributor

It seems to be the way most people meet now. My friends tell me their kids are meeting people this way, which I think is strange, dangerous and unnecessary.

I've heard a few stories about women our age finding good guys, but very few. Most have gone bad after they really got to know the guys (once they move in and don't have a job, what to do?). I've had very limited experience with online dating, and it wasn't good. I met a guy who was a former sports coach in my town, and was known as a great dad. We seemed to have chemistry and I was hopeful. As it turned out, he was meeting MANY women (some more than once without remembering them from the first time) and was online all the time, on multiple sites. There are so many dating sites, you could never keep track. Several of my friends dated lots of guys with basically the same scenario.

I'm sure there is that needle in a haystack, but if a man starts meeting multiple women, he will become addicted to the attention. Men love variety and I think many of them have a hard time giving it up to date just one woman.

Good luck! And be careful!

Valued Contributor

Met my husband (and the love of my life) on match.com. I thank heaven for him every day. I'm 56.
Esteemed Contributor

I know several people who met their long-time boyfriends, girlfriends, etc. online, and I know of a few marriages too. I have friends who joined dating sites many years ago, and did very well either getting dating experience after divorce, just meeting some nice people, or ending up in very nice relationships.

There are common-sense rules to follow, of course, and there are all different kinds of sites too, and that makes a difference. I wouldn't want a teenager looking for a boyfriend on a dating site, but any adult with some degree of common sense is perfectly safe.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Anyone watch Meredith Vierra Show, Sept. 17, 2015 Thursday:  'STUD FINDERS' segment........The hosts went browsing around in HARDWARE STORES, trying to find dates for the single guest Ashley.   'I rest my case'.............(p.s.:  Notice the pun: 'Stud Finders', lol.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I, too, have entered the dating arena for the first time in over 40 years. My husband died last year and I am in my early 60's........

I can not even imagine dealing with Internet match ups.....it would be overpowering for me. But I was fortunate since I am not, nor will I ever be, looking for a husband.

At a routine appointment with my attorney , I was introduced to one of the associates at the firm and there was a mutual interest in getting to know each other. It is exciting, if a little scary, since he has not had his 40th birthday yet.

We are having fun and I have explained to him that a permanent, long term 

"relationship" is not what I want.......

Esteemed Contributor

Online dating is not for me. I would rather be home alone than out on a date with a guy I don't know who looked a lot better, not talkin' looks here, in his profile. I am very picky, probably not the best thing for online dating.

A funny story: I went on Our Time for about 15 minutes, it didn't take any longer to figure out it wasn't for me. I looked through about a thousand pics, and one spoke to me, so I saved it and printed it out. I was determined to find out who this guy was by just asking around, don't live in a big metro area, just a couple hundred thousand here. I asked EVERYbody I thought likely would know him. Nobody did until I was having dinner with a GF one night and lamented my futile search to her. She asked to see the pic and KNEW him. Holy cow! Turned out, he was indeed widowed but had reconnected with his HS sweetheart and they were getting married. Woman Sad

Good of luck to all who venture out this way. Just be very careful, another GF was conned out of her life savings by Mr. Right she found online.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop