Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody Here Use a Water Pick/Flosser?

Hi ~ Not my Thread, but Thank You for it.  I bought one over a month ago, and it is still sitting in it's box.  Reading these replies have given me the push to get it out, and learn to use it.

I bought a Water Pik brand.  I found it on a clearance rack.  From $75 down to $35.  I have never used one before, so I am sure there is a learning curve to it.  

My Dentist was pushing "deep cleaning" and with all my old crowns in my mouth, and the horror stories I have read on what those deep cleanings can do to old caps, crowns, etc?  Not going that route, and bought the Pik.

It's not going to "do it's thing" sitting in the box!  Thanks for the motivation to get going!

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Trusted Contributor

I just replaced my old Water Pik a few weeks ago.  The button to use it would jam.  I also have a travel, rechargeable, one.  

I used to use only in the evening.  But with the cereals I eat for breakfast, I now use it 2x a day.

Love how it makes my mouth feel so clean!

Respected Contributor

I also use a water flosser.   I started out with a cheaper brand and then moved on to the Water Pik brand.   I floss with string floss first then I use the Water Pik and then I brush my teeth with the Braun Oral-B.   

I used a Phillips Sonic-Care for over 25 years and was happy with the results.  My husband wanted to try the Oral-B so he bought the one with four different heads.   I decided to try one of the heads and I was so pleased with the job that it did that I put my Sonic-Care away and we use the Oral-B exclusively.  

My husband had never used a Water Pik before and once he started using it he wondered why he waited so long to add it to his dental routine.

It just makes your mouth feel so clean and fresh.

Honored Contributor

I now have the Water Pik brand, came from Costco.  It came with one pik with the tank and one handheld pik.  I'm using the handheld pik.  I started using water flossers when I was wearing braces a few years back and never looked back.  I don't think the Water Pik flosser has as much oomph as the cheaper version I had before that I bought on Amazon.  Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing since too much force could be hard on the gums, but my dentist wasn't complaining.

Years ago I was going to the Periodontist every 3 months.  I had some deep root cleanings that required sedation.  So, I thought I would mention that I got out of the Periodontist's chair fairly quickly after I started taking CoQ10.  I went from them discussing another root procedure to my next visit they changed me from every 3 months to 6 months.  I mentioned the CoQ10 and he pooh pooh'd it and said I must be doing really good home care.  I didn't have the heart to tell him I had actually backed off on that a little.  I hated those little proxa brushes when a bristle would break off between my teeth and I couldn't find it to get it out.  

Esteemed Contributor

I bought the cordless rechargeable Water Pik model from WM. Takes less than a minute to use after brushing. Love it and recommend it hightly! Very inexpensive and has a small footprint

Respected Contributor

@Travone  I use the size that comes with the WP-100.  Works fine for me.

Honored Contributor

This is probably a dumb question but I will ask it any way.  Aren't these things really messy?  I mean, I have no idea how they work, but does the water go all over the place?  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

This is probably a dumb question but I will ask it any way.  Aren't these things really messy?  I mean, I have no idea how they work, but does the water go all over the place?  

@AngelPuppy1 

I use a portable Water Pik in the shower for this reason.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Yep.  It gets a little splashy.  So I wipe it up.  For me, no big deal.

Respected Contributor

I use a full tank of water every night, and I just lean over the bathroom sink, so the water flows out of my mouth and into it.  One can always keep one's mouth nearly closed to keep the spray from going everywhere, just like one does with an electric toothbrush.  My Sonicare does more "splash" then my WaterPik does.  I have to wipe down my bathroom counter every evening anyway, after I brush my dog's teeth, since I have to lift him up to the counter to do that, so I do my teeth first, then Johnny's, then I spray the counter with a disinfectant spray and wipe it down so there are no doggie pawprint germs left behind.  I don't plan to try the WaterPik on him, though, a manual toothbrush with beef-flavored toothpaste keeps his toofers sparkling clean, he hasn't had a cleaning in years.