Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody Here That DOESN'T Celebrate Christmas?

Christmas is a special  time of year and I celebrate and cherish it every year. I put the sad and painful times behind knowing that those loved ones would want me to celebrate and be happy. 

Frequent Contributor

Being raised Jewish, I have never celebrated Christmas, and never ever missed it.  Long before online shopping, you wouldn't catch me in a store between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day.  I happily stayed away from the crowds and the craziness.  As for having a live tree in my living space, I never understood that either.  Why?  Why?  Only to throw out in a month and clean up all the debris associated with having a huge "plant" in your home that was meant to be growing outside.

Valued Contributor

Janesilver, sometimes bringing in a little of the outside is refreshing esp. now.  Christmas means a lot to me, not the gifts etc. but the original.  I love different ideas.  It was so funny, when our kids were in 5th grade, I had a dear friend who was Jewish and our kids were in the same class.  For the Christmas program my kids ended up portraing the draydel ( excuse spelling) and her kids ended up as Mary and Joseph.  We huged and laughed and respected

Honored Contributor

I'm doing less all the time, as I think many do as we age. 

We are empty nesters, first grandchild just born last month (yipee, in the middle of a pandemic) so while I might have really gotten much more back into the swing of things this year, I don't see it happening. 

I was going to focus on baking for my family to send them all a piece of our traditions since the rest of the holiday will look different, but my stove has been broken and waiting on parts since August! Ugh. I can't seem to catch a break with it!

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

How many of these threads have been started?  Every year it's the same thing and same posters.  Some enjoy and some don't.  

It is really important any year, that people be able to share and cope with their feelings about holidays. It is a time of a lot of sorrow for so many people, and sharing experiences and feelings help so many people realize they are not alone. It might lead to someone sharing alternatives they do, that will spark some joy for others to try something similar. It might ease the pain of people longing for those people and times long gone, just to know that others are dealing with emptiness, sorrow or even anger at a time when we are all told to be merry and bright. 

Even more important this year, with all that has/is gone on.

Honored Contributor

@insomniac2 wrote:

I haven't read any of the responses, but my comment is--what a STUPID question!!!!!

Not all religions view Christmas Day in the same way. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is not a stupid question. It was an invitation to weigh in that maybe you never celebrated Christmas, were not of the religion to do so, only celebrate secularly, once did, but have stopped. 

It was an INVITATION TO HAVE A CONVERSATION. 

That is never a stupid question.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@insomniac2 wrote:

I haven't read any of the responses, but my comment is--what a STUPID question!!!!!

Not all religions view Christmas Day in the same way. There is nothing wrong with that.

It is not a stupid question. It was an invitation to weigh in that maybe you never celebrated Christmas, were not of the religion to do so, only celebrate secularly, once did, but have stopped. 

It was an INVITATION TO HAVE A CONVERSATION. 

That is never a stupid question.

I agree.  I don't think it was meant as a religious question.

Trusted Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

It's a good question, but I suspect it doesn't have a Yes/No answer. It depends on what you appreciate or celebrate about Christmas.

• For Christians or followers of other religions or spiritual connections, the feelings associated with these holidays do not change from year to year.
  • For those who mostly appreciate the joy of children, how this year feels may depend on whether you have children in your life. Or are one.
  • For those who value above everything the gathering of family, there may be a sense of loss this year, and anxiety about the decisions that need to be made.
  • Those who love the decorations can go either way--it's a toss up. 
  • Or it may feel as if there's nothing to celebrate, like the OP.
  • Every single way to deal with the holidays this year is appropriate.

I'm lucky that my family agreed decades ago to decide each year which traditions to follow and what to do, depending on our circumstances and desires that year. We've had big and small gatherings, celebrated at home or traveled, feasted on Christmas or another day, explored different churches or other spiritual experiences. So for me, this is like any other year in that we're deciding what works, and then doing that.

I love giving gifts to special people, so I will. I don't care a lot about decorating, so I'm just collecting some fir and pine scented candles that I love to look at on dark winter evenings. I've laid in some Champagne, which I love but don't often buy. If there's a family zoom, we'll coordinate with that, or maybe watch the annual concert from the big cathedral in London--can't I say the name--you know the one. 

Christmas is a hard time for many people in the best of years. But this year can also be a time to re-evaluate what actually matters. And it's a great year to honor what's true for oneself, let go of expectations, and be as light of heart as possible. I wish you all well!

Respected Contributor

I think only about the religious part now.  With no children in the house after we were in our 40s, my husband and I were working long hours and we never saw the point of a tree or decorations.  It just seemed like a lot work for something we hardly saw.  After we retired we got in the mood and did put up a tree and decorations but quickly decided we would never do it again.  We live in Florida and nowadays it is hot all the way to Christmas and It hardly seems like Christmas.  We used to go on a cruise or to the mountains at Christmas and that made it special.  Now it just comes and goes without celebration. 

Trusted Contributor

After I lost an adult son (27), which was 21 years ago, I stopped wanting to celebrate Thanksiving and Christmas. I don't want to decorate or waste time trying to find a gift that the recipient probably doesn't need or want. Stressful. So, as many others here have said, I prefer to take a cruise. Regrettably, though, that is not an option this year.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.