Trusted Contributor

Re: Anybody Here That DOESN'T Celebrate Christmas?

early on in our marriage, we decorated to the hilt. went all out for christmas every year. began paring down year after year, until i gave away all of our decorations. it's just another day for us. 

Respected Contributor

I don't celebrate Christmas the way most here have referred to it but I definitely celebrate. Christmas isn't about how much you decorate, cook or shop. It's not about how many cards you send or gifts you give. It's not even about who you spend it with. 

If you want to reclaim the joy (or find it to begin with) - whether Christian or not - spend the season serving others. It's an excellent way to pass the time and make the holidays meaningful. 

(not meaning to lecture - just seemed a refocus was needed)

Honored Contributor

I'm Jewish but my DH isn't and so we celebrate the holiday.  However I have a lot of Jewish friends who don't celebrate Christmas.

Honored Contributor

For me, this year it’s even more significant because it’s the source of peace and hope and joy.
Respected Contributor

I don't celebrate Christmas. It's always been just another day without any special meaning to me or my family . When I was working, I always volunteered to work. Double time and another day off. Score!!!!! Christmas is stressfree, I'm Jewish.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I gave away all my decorations when we moved. I have not decorated for 5 years. I don't miss it at all. I am thinking of sending cards this year because I have not seen anyone and well I just feel like it. This has been such a mess of a year. I am hoping that maybe if someone I send it too makes them smile and gives them happiness well it will be worth it. DH and I are alone here anyway. But I do make it special day. Whatever you do or don't do is your decision. 

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

I'm guessing you are referring to "secular Christmas."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Catholic ... we celebrate Advent and the Christmas Seasons.

Our liturgical calendar:

Advent  .... First Sunday of Advent  (November 29, 2020)

Christmas Season ..... through January 10, 2021

Honored Contributor

Often this is a sign of depression.  

There were times I didn't feel like decorating, but forced myself.  When it was done and time went by, I was so happy I did.  

I try to remember Christmas isn't about Santa Claus.  Decorations, for me, are celebrating a different reason.  

Honored Contributor

DH loves Christmas too much to not celebrate. If I hinted at cutting back on celebrating or decorating he would go on strike. And anyway I love seeing him so happy. There's genuine glee on his face when he sets out his standing Christmas Moose and his animatronic Sunglass-Wearing Santa Playing Jazz Jingle Bells.

The Christmas music in November is not my favorite, though. I refuse to listen to it with him in the car with him until December. Time and place.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Anonymous032819   I have not put a tree in 20 yrs, nor do I decorate.

Once my kids became adults it was not fun and they didn't care about all that stuff I said enough.  My DH didn't care about a tree and the decorating stuff either.

We exchange gifts and have a big dinner. It's a nice day.

I used to do the whole 9 yards when the kids were young and it was fun.

If I had grandkids I might feel differently.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   Because my grandkids are young...2...4..and 7, I do put up some decorations.  They prefer for me to come to their house...so most of our celebrating is there.  My 7 year old granddaughter's birthday is on Christmas Eve, so there is a lot happening.