Contributor

Re: Anybody Here That DOESN'T Celebrate Christmas?

I loved EVERYTHING about Christmas - even with the grown kids - but sadly my husband passed away after a short vicious battle with cancer the week before Christmas 3 years this December. No more decorating - as little celebrating as I can get by with. 

Honored Contributor

For me, every day is Christmas.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Valued Contributor

@green girl wrote:

I loved EVERYTHING about Christmas - even with the grown kids - but sadly my husband passed away after a short vicious battle with cancer the week before Christmas 3 years this December. No more decorating - as little celebrating as I can get by with. 

@green girl, I'm so sorry! My husband died on Jan. 10, 2015 but he'd been in and out of the hospital so much that I'd not had time to take down any of my Christmas decorations or anything before he passed. He'd battled cancer for 6 1/2 years but it suddenly took over his body in a rage and then he was gone. It was really painful to put those same decorations back up the next Christmas because they brought back memories of his death and everyone being here for his funeral. I did it because I have a special needs son and also for my grandchildren but it really hurt a lot. The very memories that initially brought joy now bring pain. My game plan was to fake it until I make it. It has worked as it is finally getting better for me now. I hope that you can find in time that it gets better for you too. We never forget them and everyone grieves in their own way so I am not saying you are wrong by not celebrating. I just hope in time you can find joy again. My thoughts are with you!

Visitor

I don't celebrate/decorate like I used to.  I have two grown daughters and for the past couple of years one will not be around the other, which puts a damper on holidays.  I have a ceramic tree that I put out.  When kids were young we always got a real tree.  I do love watching holiday movies and listening to Christmas music!

Valued Contributor

Haven't put a tree up for many years, nor decorated like I once did, and I actually enjoy Christmas more without all that work of decorating and undecorating!  

Merry Christmas to all!

Esteemed Contributor

My family is very diverse, in terms of race and religion. However, this year I told everyone to stay home. We will do Zoom holidays. I just want my family to stay safe.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

My family is very diverse, in terms of race and religion. However, this year I told everyone to stay home. We will do Zoom holidays. I just want my family to stay safe.

@Vivian   the exact same for me.  In fact, our Zoom celebration, such as it is, starts with Thanksgiving this year. 

Since I have always cooked the huge Thanksgiving dinner for everyone (and loved every minute), I really don't know what to do with myself.

Christmas will be easier, because yes, I am still going to decorate fully for Christmas, and I typically only make a side dish to bring out to family.  I'll probably just make a steak dinner.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Any and all joy that I use to feel at Christmas time, has long since disappeared.

I won't be putting up a tree, I won't be decorating, Christmas cards are a thing of the past.

In all honesty, it's just another day, and the sooner it's over, the better.

Anybody else who won't be celebrating Christmas?

@Anonymous032819 

Are you depressed or just beaten down by the 2020 Covid Zombie Apocalypse?

WHO SAYS you have to do the same old, same old every year?

Last year we decided to "interrupt the patterns" and do things differently.   There were a few decorations, but no tree.  Instead of all the usual foods, we ordered a large assortment of Chinese take out and had great leftovers for days.

Okay, I admit, there was always pumpkin pie available .... but the change was really fun.     

There's a few possibilities for what we'll do this year .... but it WILL be "different".   

Sometimes you just need a break .........  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

We do celebrate and when it is our year for the kids and grandkids to stay with us we do decorate.  The other years it is a little tabletop tree kind of thing.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would go to church if we didn’t have Covid.  I’ll stay home and do as little as possible.  The Chinese food sounds like a good idea.  

No decorating.