Honored Contributor

Re: Any thoughts about an 80 year old widow moving alone to the Villages in Florida.

If she's doing this on her own, free will it could be a great thing for her.   Like other posters have mentioned, if she's done her homework & no one is trying to scam her-- more power to her!

Honored Contributor

Re: Any thoughts about an 80 year old widow moving alone to the Villages in Florida.

@september wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@september

The Villages is a huge over-55 adult community located in Ocala, Florida. You can google it and it will give you full description.

Its such a large community there are several sub-divisions within. 

I kind of assumed so, but why should I have to google it?  If I was starting a thread here about an over 55 community in CA (and there are lots of them)... I wouldn't assume that everyone was familiar with the place.  

Because that's what people do when they don't know something these days. It would have been time better spent than chastising the OP for something you don't know.

Honored Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

80 is a bit late to be coming here.  Traffic is horrendous & costs are very high,  At 80 your health can change overnight.  The Villages is enormous and complicated to get around.  It all looks wonderful in the brochure, but is really designed for the much younger retiree.

Those who arrive at 60 or 65 are more successful at a good life here.

The other thing to know is the roads are public, so even though there is a gate, anyone can enter at anytime.  This is not as secure as the over 55 communities that do not have public roads.

Now this is a lot of information I didn't know. Thanks for sharing this.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gmkb wrote:

Just want to correct a mistaken impression.  The Villages is not in Ocala.  It is a 40 minute trip from Ocala to The Villages.  The similar community that is in Ocala is called Top of the World.  The large city near The Villages is Leesburg, Fl.

For those interested,  Top of the World in Ocala has many of the same amenities as The Villages,  

Do your due diligence when looking into TOTW in Ocala. Their HOA fees are extremely high (around $400/mo). And you do not own the land in some of the communities, only the structure (lot lease for 99 years starting at the first buyer). 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

@gmkb wrote:

Just want to correct a mistaken impression.  The Villages is not in Ocala.  It is a 40 minute trip from Ocala to The Villages.  The similar community that is in Ocala is called Top of the World.  The large city near The Villages is Leesburg, Fl.

For those interested,  Top of the World in Ocala has many of the same amenities as The Villages,  

Do your due diligence when looking into TOTW in Ocala. Their HOA fees are extremely high (around $400/mo). And you do not own the land in some of the communities, only the structure (lot lease for 99 years starting at the first buyer). 

@Say Nay  You are correct.  Part of the reason for the high fees is they maintain the exterior of the property.  Yes, you are correct about the land also.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Too expensive for me.

Best to reduce one's monthly expenditures as much as possible IMHO. I wouldn't want to be around all those people anyway. I'd rather be out in the country....with animals....planting a garden instead of driving around in a golf cart. To each their own, though.

I would also want to have my grandchildren over - if I had any - and you can't do that there.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

Too expensive for me.

Best to reduce one's monthly expenditures as much as possible IMHO. I wouldn't want to be around all those people anyway. I'd rather be out in the country....with animals....planting a garden instead of driving around in a golf cart. To each their own, though.

I would also want to have my grandchildren over - if I had any - and you can't do that there.

@YorkieonmyPillow  I have to agree with you about the Villages and OTOW.  People are on top of each other.  The Villages is a traffic and golf cart nightmare.  Golf cart maps are available to help you get around.  That being said, we have friends in both places who enjoy living there and would not think of moving.  

We live in a much smaller 55+ community in Central Fl. and like it very much.  I recognize    

this style of living is not for everyone.

I did want to comment on the grandchildren comment.  Grandchildren are permitted in all communities - most have a 30 consecutive day restriction.  Our grandchildren come all the time for overnights.

In fact, the Villages holds Gramma and Grampa Camp throughout the summer.  The children can participate in all sorts of fun activities.  I believe Kerstin L.  sends her girls to their grandparents for a week at "Camp."  She has written several blogs about it.

Respected Contributor

I live part time in an over 55 community.  I am amused at some of the posts here, and who in the heck hasn't heard of The Villages?  Wow.  Thanks for the laugh on the wild parties.  I'm trying to find out who knows about that stuff.  LOL  The things I agree with are, these neighborhoods are often located near congested areas, but people who live there like all the choices they have.  In our neighborhood 90% of people who locate there have kids and grandkids in the area.  Yes, it cost something to live this lifestyle, but it's not outrageous.  After all, most of us are retired, so we can afford it.  Others still have full time jobs.  Bottom line is, the ones who live here love it!  I live on a golf course and have access to all kinds of amenities just a golf cart drive away.  I split my time there becausw we have a long time vacation place, and there are a few like myself who do the same.  Very safe there.  Very much a lock and leave house. 

Honored Contributor

80 is so young for some people.  My Grandmother was still in her home alone (for over 32 years) and doing all the same chores she always did up until about 93 when we moved her to a retirement home.  She passed about a year later.  The only thing she stopped doing in her 80's was mowing the yard. 

Some folks are falling apart in their 50's and some are still dancing at 100.  It just all depends.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."