Contributor

Any thoughts about an 80 year old widow moving alone to the Villages in Florida.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any thoughts about an 80 year old widow moving alone to the Villages in Florida.

I say why not.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any thoughts about an 80 year old widow moving alone to the Villages in Florida.

Is she renting? That's really the best way to know if that sort of life is going to make her happy.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Super Contributor

I also say "why not"

Honored Contributor

Depends largely on her health, then her financial situation (if she needs help and has no family nearby can she pay for help), and lastly. will she be far away/isolated frim friends/family.

If she's healthy, financially in good shape and wants to do it - go for it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

My aunt is considering the villages in the future. She said after her husband passes but she is so active and I think she would be fine. If it makes her happy:-)

My only concern is that she will be two hours away from us.
Honored Contributor

a lot of people in our community (early 70s +) have moved up to The Villages for many reasons: on site - entertainment, doctors, food stores, strip malls, and use golf carts vs cars.

from what I've heard it's a great place to live and be active since there is a lot to do and lots of people.

i have heard though it's very expensive to live there. Those homes have continued to keep their value even thru the real estate downward spiral in FL.  My good friend is moving there 79 yrs old and widowed! Who knows she (and your friend) may meet another man of their dreams!!!!

Respected Contributor

@The Monkey on My Back wrote:

Is she renting? That's really the best way to know if that sort of life is going to make her happy.

From what I've heard, that's the truth, regarding 'that sort of life'.   Does she  know about their Friday afternoon Happy Hours?  Maybe that's why she wants to move there.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@NativeJax

2 hours is a short drive now if it was 12 hours well that's different. 

Plus if she's active that's the place to go!!! They have something going on every day & night. I love the restaurants & nightly entertainment they have.

Respected Contributor

If she is healthy, happy and has the financial resources to sustain her, and any "extra" needs, why not?  As long as she understands

shes on her own if something happens until family/friends can get 

to her.  She sounds pretty independent, and if she has her health, than she's got everything!