Honored Contributor

Re: Any suggestions...veteran/therapy dog charities

The information you are looking for can also come thru your local Veterans Affairs office, or a VA medical center.   

We spent Monday and Tuesday at our local VA medical center; saw 6 veterans total with service dogs.   I overheard one veteran talking about how he got his dog, and it started thru his medical provider at the clinic.    

Honored Contributor

@2-4-6-8 wrote:

I volunteer with just such an organiation.  We provide custom trained mobility assistance service dogs with severly wounded veterans.  Smoky Mountain Service Dogs.  We are not a large national organization but have an excellent financial history - over 97% of all donations go directly to the care of our dogs and veterans.  Only 3 paid employees and the rest of us are volunteers.  Please check the website - smokymountainservicedogs.org or look on Facebook.  

Thank you for wanting to help our veterans!!

Will check them out, thanks so much for the suggestion, @2-4-6-8

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions and kind words.  Smiley Happy Heart

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@dmod nj my charity that I support is Service Dog Project (SDP) out of Ipswich, MA.  They provide Great Danes for those have mobility issues including wounded warriors but also provide therapy dogs for vets with PTSD as well.  One of their trainers has one of their dogs and basically didn't have much of a life until Charlie came into his life.  They are a wonderul and well run organization, I have been with them for years and they have given me so much more in return.  I couldn't recommend them more.  You can view their operations 24x7 at Explore.org if you would like to take a look.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@dmod nj my charity that I support is Service Dog Project (SDP) out of Ipswich, MA.  They provide Great Danes for those have mobility issues including wounded warriors but also provide therapy dogs for vets with PTSD as well.  One of their trainers has one of their dogs and basically didn't have much of a life until Charlie came into his life.  They are a wonderul and well run organization, I have been with them for years and they have given me so much more in return.  I couldn't recommend them more.  You can view their operations 24x7 at Explore.org if you would like to take a look.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, @momtochloe.  I will check them out! 

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

The information you are looking for can also come thru your local Veterans Affairs office, or a VA medical center.   

We spent Monday and Tuesday at our local VA medical center; saw 6 veterans total with service dogs.   I overheard one veteran talking about how he got his dog, and it started thru his medical provider at the clinic.    

@RedTopgood suggestion!! Thank you. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

Hi Donna, Kudos to you for choosing to support this worthy endeavor.  Any charity that assists returning veterans and their families is A-OK in my book!  Thanks for supporting whichever organization you choose.  DEEP

@deepwaterdotter  thanks for the kind words. Smiley Happy Everyone had such great advice or suggestions.   

Honored Contributor

Any animal charity that is accredited is a blessing!!!!  I just sent money to Monkeys House. Look them up.  They give shelter and care to sick, dying dogs.  This woman is amazing and I admire her sacrifice.   I saw her on CNN Heroes, and looked into it. And The charity just spoke to me.  Now, I have cats, ( had a dog once in my life) and would love to see a home like this for cats!!!  I do research before donating and make sure they are accredited .  I know I cant give to every charity....  Sometimes a one time donation is what I do, then I have my charities I give  to monthly.  I am a firm believer in giving.

Honored Contributor

@dmod nj I got a therapy dog through Therapy Dogs International. You can find out if there are any available locally through their web site. They do home visits, they're the only ones I could find two years ago that would do home visits. We still see our dog and we love him.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Thank you @shoekitty for the suggestion! I will look them up!