Honored Contributor

Re: Any suggestions...veteran/therapy dog charities

You're very welcome @dmod nj!

I appreciate what you are doing!

Whenever I can donate, it is always to charities that help the animals and dogs for veterans is definitely a win-win!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

That Puppies Behind Bars has a 100 out of 100 rating from charity navigator. This is the one from @cherry's military site suggested and I bet you saw that @dmod nj.

I've seen several news stories about this organization.

So many good ones!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

The one I just found out about is called Veterans Moving Forward.

We had their leadership in and some of the dogs and trainers to speak at my company and to learn a little more about their programs and how they operate.

There was some local reporting about the condition of dogs who are part of a program at Walter Reed.  I believe Walter Reed terminated that organization's contract.  So we were very wary about an organization like this and we had a lot of questions.

Hi @VaBelle35 
Were your questions answered to your satisfaction? 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

You're very welcome @dmod nj!

I appreciate what you are doing!

Whenever I can donate, it is always to charities that help the animals and dogs for veterans is definitely a win-win!

Thanks so much for the kind words. Smiley Happy 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

That Puppies Behind Bars has a 100 out of 100 rating from charity navigator. This is the one from @cherry's military site suggested and I bet you saw that @dmod nj.

I've seen several news stories about this organization.

So many good ones!

@on the bay  yes, that was the one.  I am making a list, so that one is definitely on the list! 

Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

We had their leadership in and some of the dogs and trainers to speak at my company and to learn a little more about their programs and how they operate.

There was some local reporting about the condition of dogs who are part of a program at Walter Reed.  I believe Walter Reed terminated that organization's contract.  So we were very wary about an organization like this and we had a lot of questions.

Hi @VaBelle35 
Were your questions answered to your satisfaction? 

Yes.  I will be submitting the paperwork to nominate them for a company donation next week.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dmod nj

@on the bay

@Kachina624

Thank you @on the bay for including Paws and Stripes on your list.  They moved from Rio Rancho, New Mexico to a facility here in Albuquerque.

Not only is this a cause I support, it's local!

Paws and Stripes provides service dogs​​​​​​​​​​ for military veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder and brain injuries through integrating service dog training and education with mental health support.

One organization that hits four points on my list.  One: Supports our vets.  Two: It's local.  Three: Mental health support (I'm a psych nurse).  Four: The dogs in the program come from local shelters.

That means Paws and Stripes saves two lives.

(Paws and Stripes dot org)

ETA:

Established in 2010.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
New Contributor

I volunteer with just such an organiation.  We provide custom trained mobility assistance service dogs with severly wounded veterans.  Smoky Mountain Service Dogs.  We are not a large national organization but have an excellent financial history - over 97% of all donations go directly to the care of our dogs and veterans.  Only 3 paid employees and the rest of us are volunteers.  Please check the website - smokymountainservicedogs.org or look on Facebook.  

Thank you for wanting to help our veterans!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@VaBelle35 wrote:

The "terminated" organization is Warrior Canine Connection (WCC), a charity that I have supported for many years.  When I read about the allegations, I contacted an administrator (Ms. Dean) at the VA with my questions and concerns. 

She stated that a veterinarian had been hired at WCC expense to correct any conditions and concerns.  She said that the termination was due to "oversight" issues related to the contract the VA had with WCC.  When asked about contracting with a different organization for services, the representative told me that funding of the program in the future was "tentative" and hinged on "budgetery concerns". 

I have chosen to continue my financial support of Warrior Canine Connection.  I applaud your company's support of Veterans Moving Forward.

Honored Contributor

Hi Donna, Kudos to you for choosing to support this worthy endeavor.  Any charity that assists returning veterans and their families is A-OK in my book!  Thanks for supporting whichever organization you choose.  DEEP