Frequent Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for fun things with kids in NYC

I was wondering about the Central Park Zoo as she loves animals! Thank you!

Frequent Contributor

Thank you so much for your input! I appreciate it! I didn't know about the Planetarium!

Frequent Contributor

I love the idea of the wax museum and the carriage ride! Thanks so much!

Frequent Contributor

Great ideas! Thanks for your input - I'll check them out!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We're in NYC for the weekend, so having a few definite destinations will utilize our time! I wondered about the Top of the Rock, so your suggestion is very appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to respond! I can't tell you how excited she is...it's been her dream to go to Broadway and to see NYC!

Super Contributor

Definitely go to the Central Park Zoo.  It is small and manageable.  The indoor rainforest is my favorite part!  Love that little zoo.  There are red pandas, seals, penguins...polar bears or bear?  Also, the girls do love American Girl.  A nice place to take children is the Saks Fifth Avenue Cafe. It's on the 8th floor, I believe. Something to eat for kids and grownups, too!  I used to take my son there and there were always lots of girls with their moms and grandmoms and their American Girl bags.  I think Build-A-Bear might be near there too?  Maybe it closed?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

American Museum of Natural History/Planetarium - is full of wonder - most cities will not have this.

planetarium nyc tickets

You can do the Central Park zoo and the Museum since they are in the same part of town. Met Museum is also there - but that might be right for her, for you perhaps.

Plan your trip in terms of timing and tickets. 

Definitely the Statue of Liberty - be mindful of tickets here or basically anywhere. 

therre are the hop on and off buses that loop the city What Broadway show are you seeing?

Have fun!

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for all the good tips...especially the hop on and off buses! We're seeing "Alladin" and she is so excited!

Esteemed Contributor

I think American Girls store is a great idea. I know that is one of the first places my daughter wanted to go. She also really wanted to go to Serendipity for a frozen hot chocolate. I think any trip to NYC needs a visit to Dylans Candy Bar, kid or not. I think you got lots of great suggestions. I am a big museum person so I would make a point to hit one those that might be of most interest to your granddaughter. Also have a great time. This will be such a great bonding experience with her so take lots of pics/videos and enjoy!!!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Frequent Contributor

More great ideas - thank you so much! Dylans is already on the list and it seems that we should add Serendipity too! So many others mentioned the museums too, so I will heed the advise and try to get that in too! Thanks for your good wishes - it's been so nice to have such lovely responses and well wishes for a fun and memorable trip with my grandaughter! She is so over the moon about seeing Broadway! She sings all day long and has even written a few songs of her own, which has blown me away! I guess I better stay tuned as to where this may all go...! Again thanks for taking the time to write!