Esteemed Contributor

I know this should probably go in the Pet Lovers forum, but I really only post here along with in the TV and Movies forum.  She's making us crazy. We have deer in our yard every day who leave presents. We do pick up and dispose of the presents, but not every day. In the 6-1/2 months Willow has been part of the family, she was not in the least interested. However, since Saturday she has decided the deer poop is appetizing and we don’t know why. BRAT! 

20220724_174008.jpg

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Honored Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for Willow?

My Chi-Chi lives in the boonies where the deer population is the majority over human population.  Our private dog park is full of deer poop in certain spots where the deer feed.   In the dog park, she runs wild unleashed.

Fortunately, Chi-Chi knows the word "NO!"  which I taught her when I first rescued her.  I would say "NO!" loudly whenever she ventured towards the deer feeding grounds and/or deer poop.

Now she just ignores the deer feeding grounds & the poop.

I have a deep voice which helps. Smiley Tongue

If I wasn't around, I am sure she would be feasting on deer poop.

Does Willow know the word "NO?"

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

When a furbaby does that, it means that they are lacking a certain enzyme in their body..

Prozyme is a good powder that you can add to her food... that will replace the enzyme..

It contains Bromelain..pineapple enzyme which is very good for our babies..

Try it... add a little canned pumpkin to her food.

Hope this helps ... 

Willow be a good girl.

Esteemed Contributor

Spank her  and yell........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That took care of first dog's interest in her  own    poo  poo - would bring it in the house.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a dog that ate all kinds of poo including his own, the cat's poo and the other dog's poo. I could not control him when it came to that problem. I tried everything. I even asked a pro dog trainer and the trainer told me to use a shock collar and it would only be a temporary thing until my dog got trained to stay away from the poo. It worked. I know that sounds cruel and inhumane but it was my last resort. The dog turned out to be one of the most loving dogs I ever had and I was so glad I didn't give him away.

I'm not saying that's what you should do but that's what I had to do. The poo eating was only half of the problem. The rest came afterwards if you know what I mean and that happened inside the house constantly.

Honored Contributor

Willow is just doing what all dogs do, but deer poop is a dangerous thing for a dog to eat, especially a very small dog.   I would be calling the vet, because she's likely going to need treatment.

Honored Contributor

Most every wild four-legged animal has parasites living in their gut amongst some life-threatening bad bacteria. If the dog shows signs of lethargy after eating the deer poo then take it to the vet right away.

Respected Contributor

What @RedTop  said.  Deer carry so many diseases that are not visible to you. The DNR around here constantly warns people about feeding and attracting them. Apparently it's a bad idea to try and feed them.  They are wild animals and should be treated as such.  
They may be nice to at, but they are so destructive.  I would be trying to get them as far away from my property as possible.   That's a cute little dog and hopefully she will be ok. 

Respected Contributor

@MamaWick 

You love your Willow AND you love the deer.

I agree with other posters about consulting with your vet about this issue.

However, is there a way to give Willow room to run in the yard and construct some kind of a fence or barrier so she does not go out into the yard area where the deer congregate?  I can't imagine that you would discourage deer from coming to your property after all this time you have enjoyed them and supported them with your feedings. 

This is a tough one.  Let us know how you resolve it.

Honored Contributor

I would go by your vet's advice.

So sorryI haven'tbeenabletopost.  A number of us can'tget into the forums.

Only my phone works.  It is too consuming to use.